*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372287-121404---The-Bend
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#372287 added September 11, 2005 at 9:27pm
Restrictions: None
12/14/04 - The Bend
The Bend
By: Robert Watson



A filthy-looking golden retriever ambled alongside the desolate road, lonely and hungry. His owners had dropped him off in the pouring rain on top of a mountain. It had been almost a week since his last real meal. Pausing momentarily to look for traffic, he crossed the road to search for food on the other side.


“Ninety-seven bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-seven bottles of beeeer! Take one down and pass it around, ninety-six bottles of beer on the wall...” three boys sang loudly in the backseat of the SUV. Their father ignored the wailing voices and expertly maneuvered the automobile around the sharp bend in the narrow road.

“Are we there yet?” piped up the youngest of the children, Tyler.

“We’ll be there shortly, honey,” Mrs. Madison informed her son. “Just relax.” She sighed and leaned back in her seat, attempting to rest her weary eyes.

Without warning, Mr. Madison slammed on the brakes and everybody lurched forward. A sharp thud sounded from outside. Shutting off the ignition, Mr. Madison cursed under his breath and quickly hopped out of the vehicle.

“What happened?” asked Jimmy. At age thirteen, he was the oldest of the trio. Marty looked at his mother questioningly and Tyler began to bawl.

“I don’t know. Is everybody back there all right? Marty, calm your brother down,” answered their mother.

“Cut it out, Tyler.”

A minute or so later, the boys’ father clambered back into his seat and looked around at the four faces staring intently at him.

“There was a dog in the middle of the road,” he began slowly. “I didn’t see it until it was too late. I tried to stop the van from hitting it, but I was driving too fast.” He paused. “I’m afraid the dog is dead.”

Words: 298
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372287-121404---The-Bend