*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372294-121804---The-Accident
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#372294 added September 11, 2005 at 9:33pm
Restrictions: None
12/18/04 - The Accident
The Accident
By: Robert Watson



Three people stood around a bed. They all looked as if they hadn’t had a decent sleep in weeks. A television could faintly be heard over the whirring, buzzing, and beeping sounds emitting from the machines in the hospital room. The body of a 16-year-old boy lay on the bed underneath white linen sheets. Dozens of wires were hooked up to him and his right arm was enveloped in a cast.

“It’s all my fault,” said the teenager’s best friend, Billy, for the hundredth time.

“Stop blaming yourself,” the boy’s mother told Billy. “It was an accident.”

“I shouldn’t have let him leave by himself and drive home.”

“He shouldn‘t have been drinking in the first place,” the boy’s father replied grimly.

Jerry’s family and close friends were experiencing just one of the many consequences of drunk driving. Three weeks ago, Jerry had been at a party and drank about six or seven beers. He had been involved in a vehicle accident on the way back to his house. He had been in a coma ever since that horrific night.

Jerry’s father sighed and plopped down in one of the armchairs. His wife sat next to him and they exchanged weary glances. Jerry’s father closed his eyes and tried to get some rest.

“Oh my God,” Billy exclaimed. “Linda, Robert - come over here quick.”

The three of them anxiously peered down at the still body. Jerry’s eyes fluttered a few times and his good arm groped for something to hold onto. Linda took his cold hand in hers. A tear rolled down her cheek and she silently began to cry. Jerry’s eyes were fully open now, although they appeared a bit murky.

“Hi, mom,” he whispered hoarsely.

Words: 288
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372294-121804---The-Accident