*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373917-Swinging-Sixties
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#373917 added April 1, 2015 at 11:59am
Restrictions: None
Swinging Sixties
I read with interest schipperke's entry about her memories of the 80's and Mel aka Mrs Tor 's promise to write about her favourite era, the 70's. It makes me feel very old, but I have to admit the most memorable era of my life was definitely the Sixties. In Britain, for a young girl growing up, it was the most magical time imaginable.

My childhood was one unaffected by television, computer games and technology and much as I love those things now, I'm grateful I was allowed to play traditional games in the fresh air, use my imagination to entertain and enjoy the simple pleasures of that era. My main interest at that time was dancing and I honestly believed I might be a ballet dancer when I grew up. Despite the many references to the Sixties being a time of drugs, free love and moral decline, in my experience it was still refeshingly innocent by comparison to future decades.




Scarlett - 1961. Pre - Beatles days!



I remember the Sixties as a time when we were always surrounded by family. They weren't all happy times of course, but how I miss all my relatives now they are no longer with us. Family get-togethers, evenings playing cards, trips to the dog races are all such lovely memories.



A traditional, simple family Christmas. 1963.


Life at school was tough at times, but I remember always being amongst fun-loving, caring friends. There was little to do for under-sixteens but we made our own fun and entertainment. We enjoyed many parties, nights out and school trips.



A school trip to Hampshire for a week- 1964. My first boyfriend Phil and I are now back in touch, thanks to Friendsreunited. Don't those vehicles in the car park look dated? lol


I still keep in touch with my best friend from school. We share so many happy memories of that time. Our studies suffered to some degree but we were Beatles experts! I bet we could still sing every Beatles song ever recorded. We'd go to the cinema on Sundays and leave early to stand outside and listen to the charts on our transistor radios.




My best pal, Linda (yes, another one!)and myself. 1965.



I forget how many times we saw The Beatles live on stage, how many times we saw their films at the cinema and how many times we visited their home town of Liverpool.




Outside the original Cavern in Liverpool 1964.


It's difficult to put into words the magic of that era. A combination of the simple life before motorways, technology, global warming and space travel, combined with the developing music, fashion, freedom and opportunities ahead is hardly a satisfactory explanation, but for me, the sixties was a very special time indeed.

I know there are people who say they'd never go back and those who say they wouldn't change a thing in their lives but I'm not one of them.

Would I go back to the Sixties? Yes, indeed.
Would I do things differently? Yes, indeed.
Would I learn from my mistakes? Yes, indeed.

Nevertheless, I'm pleased and proud to have been a child of the sixties, I don't think there'll ever be another decade like it. Even if colour photogaphy was a thing of the future! lol

© Copyright 2015 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/373917-Swinging-Sixties