*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375571-092605---Awards-Ceremony
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#375571 added September 26, 2005 at 8:43pm
Restrictions: None
09/26/05 - Awards Ceremony
Awards Ceremony
By: Robert Watson



I glanced around nervously and made sure Maggie was still behind. A red-faced man who appeared ready to blow a fuse herded us into a large auditorium. I managed to find us two seats close to the rear. The place was filled; there would be no empty seats tonight.

"This is it," I told Maggie weakly as an old gentleman walked across the stage and stood by the podium. She grabbed my sweaty hand tightly, giving me a reassuring smile.

"Don’t worry about it, Jack. You’re going to win."

This was my year. For the past five years, I had worked relentlessly, perfecting my talent to become one of the most proclaimed writers in Philadelphia.

"Ladies and gentlemen," began the man, speaking through the microphone. The auditorium was filled with silence. "I would like to cordially welcome you all to the 10th annual Pennsylvania journalism awards ceremony, where we will be honoring the finest journalists in the state."

The man continued his speech and then exited off the stage. The presenters then gave out the awards until the only reward left was for the top prize: a trip to Australia, a trophy, and $1,000.

"Now, for the prize you’ve all been waiting for," announced a man I recognized as Mike Jerome, one of my colleagues. "This journalist has shown through the years that they have the talent and that they deserve to receive this award. They battled their way to the top of the profession, writing high-quality material and working under many diverse conditions to tell you the hardcore facts of the story. Their work has been featured in publications such as The New York Times and The Tribune. I am proud to present this year’s award for the Most Proclaimed Journalist in the State to Jack Vyertok."

Words: 298
Date: 09/26/05
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375571-092605---Awards-Ceremony