*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375309-092505---Scratches
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#375309 added September 30, 2005 at 7:49pm
Restrictions: None
09/25/05 - Scratches
Scratches
By: Robert Watson


(Based upon a true story.)


"Where’s Scratches?" I asked my mother, referring to the black-and-white kitten that we had. I hadn’t seen her all morning.

Scratches was my first pet. My mother had gotten her from the local grocery store when I was only about three- or four-years-old. She wasn’t very friendly, and that’s how she had received her name. I constantly had red streaks running the length of my arm where she had clawed at me. Nonetheless, we still loved her. She just had a bit of a temper.

"I’m not sure, honey," my mother replied. "She’ll be around before long." It wasn’t uncommon for Scratches to be missing for long periods of time; she spent most of her days outside. "She’s probably out hiding in the corn fields."

A few hours later we decided we’d better look for her. I took off in one direction while my mother hunted for her in the other. I was just about to give up searching when my mother shouted out:

"Bobby, I found her!" Her voice was shaking. I sprinted over as fast to her as fast as I could. My mother looked at me with mournful eyes and led me over to the front porch.

"Where is she, Mom?"

"Scratches was hurt," she said slowly. "She was hit by a car. I found her down in the ditch."

Tears welled up in my eyes. "I bet the doctor can fix that, right Mom?"

"No, honey. I’m afraid not."

I quickly ran over to the ditch before she could reach out and stop me. I peered down and gasped at the sight I saw. I immediately fell to my knees and began to sob loudly, tears rolling down my cheeks and splashing onto the pavement.

My Scratches was dead.

Words: 293
Date: 09/25/05
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375309-092505---Scratches