*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/377203-Job-Description-President-of-the-U-S
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #941759
Opinion and views on what is and what is not being reported on...
#377203 added October 5, 2005 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
Job Description: President of the U. S.
The President's Job Description-


As set forth in the US Constitution and its amendments, the President is head of the Executive branch of government and Commander-in-Chief of the country's armed forces. In the former capacity, he is responsible for ensuring the enforcement of such laws as the Congress may pass and any judgements which the courts of the judicial branch may hand down (although the Supreme Court is the only one enumerated in the Constitution itself). In the latter, he is the pinnacle of the military hierarchical pyramid--although he holds no military rank, and remains a civilian--and responsible for the well-being and guidance of the entire military infrastructure. He must be a native-born citizen, at least thirty-five years old, and a resident for at least fourteen years. He is elected for a four-year term, and, since the presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, may serve no more than two terms.

Several powers and responsibilities are specifically allotted to him. Firstly, he has authority to forbid from becoming law (Latin veto, "I forbid") any bill passed by the Congress, although his veto may be overturned by vote of two-thirds of both houses. Secondly, he may make treaties with foreign governments, but they must be approved by the Congress (again by a two-thirds vote). He also appoints ambassadors and judges and other public officials; for some of these, primarily the most high-profile positions, the Congress has approval authority over, but for others it can declare (and has declared) that it will trust his judgement.

Military officers also receive their commissions from him. He may present "such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient" to the Congress, but it is not required to take them up. He must brief the Congress on "the state of the union" from time to time--this is generally once a year.

The president also has other powers which are not specifically listed in the Constitution; largely, they have been granted by the Congress. For example, although Congressional approval is required for declaration of war, the president can send out troops for a limited amount of time or call upon the National Guard to deal with emergencies. But the biggest addition to presidential power is the concept of the Executive Order. Executive orders and agreements essentially allow the president to create law by bypassing the Congress. It's not a "law" or a "bill" or a "treaty," so the Congress isn't required to be involved. Congress can, however, force through a law declaring that Executive Order X is no longer law, provided the vote is the two-thirds needed for overriding the veto.

Or probably a more accurate job description:

Job Description: President of the United States of America

Mandatory Prerequisites

*Star*Ability to convince more than 50% of the American people, as represented through the Electoral College, of personal ability to lead the country OR ability to convince a sitting President of personal ability to be Vice President, and ability to have said sitting President experience an untimely death.

*Star*Native of the United States with fourteen years' residency.

*Star*At least 35 years old.

*Star*Willingness to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Recommended, but not required:

Previous service in the United States Armed Forces or National Guard, preferably in a high-profile role such as general or fighter pilot.

Prior experience in Washington politics.

A graduate degree in law and/or political science, preferably from a member institution of the Ivy League.

Support of a major political party: either the Democratic Party or Republican Party.

At least $30 million in financial backing.

Prior experience as a congressman, governor, or vice president.

*Star*A penis.

Public speaking ability (speechwriting ability not essential).

An accent that is easy for Saturday Night Live cast members to mimic.

Acceptance of Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior.

Responsibilities

Must oversee the execution of all federal legislation.

Must be available at all times to take command of the armed forces.

Must be willing to lead the nation, and pretend to lead the free world, during times of crisis.

Must be willing to abandon private life in favor of public life.

Compensation package includes:
Annual salary of $400,000 (subject to income tax)

Annual expense account of $100,000 for travel, $19,000 for official entertainment, and $50,000 for other costs arising from official duties (all not taxable), through the Executive Office of the President.

Free house and office space in Washington, D.C., complete with a small army of administrative assistants and a sizable kitchen staff.

Free getaway outside the Beltway.

Free private jet.

Free helicopter.

Free motorcades when needed.

Free bodyguards.

Pension of approximately $300,000 a year after leaving the White House. This can be supplemented by book deals if necessary.

(It's good to be the king.)

Job security: This position is guaranteed for four years, barring assassination or impeachment. It may be extended to eight years with good behavior, but no further extensions of contract are possible.

Theoretically, a president can serve for up to ten years: they are limited to two four-year terms, and if they happen to come into the presidency in the middle of the last president's term, that term only counts if they serve for more than half of it. But that's a bit pedantic, and I wouldn't have considered mentioning it if mkb hadn't brought it up. Thanks, mkb!

Also, just for the record, you don't have to be Vice President to become President if the President dies. The Speaker of the House and President pro tempore of the Senate, as well as the Cabinet secretaries, are also in line, and get to become president if everyone above them in the pecking order dies at the same time.


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


And just for fun:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1018280 by Not Available.







Sources:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=40196

© Copyright 2005 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/377203-Job-Description-President-of-the-U-S