*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380188-April-20-2005-grcubby
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
April 20, 2005: grcubby

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Flower2* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Flower2* Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com.

*Flower2* We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!
** Image ID #960797 Unavailable **

*Flower2*Your host this week: Cubby~Cheering House Florent! *Flower2*

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*

*Flower2* Ratings: What They Stand For *Flower2*

Ratings and authors can sometimes have a love/hate relationship. We receive 5.0 stars and we love our ratings. But as ratings drop, we don't always like them so much, especially if a rating is uncalled for. This week I would like to help you understand ratings and how to determine which rating to hand out in a review. I've noticed while reading through the Public Review page, there are sometimes unwarranted low ratings given (and many times too high).

This past month, I was struck with a 1.0 rating on my blog. I was devestated. (Yes, Mods have feelings, too, lol!) The member, who I must give credit to for at least not slashing me annonymously, is a newbie I had featured in my last newsletter. He(?) basically told me that my intro was an insult to the literate reader by assuming no one would comprehend my metaphor. Actually, I was just trying to be funny and thought of it more as an ice breaker. Anyway, I did not sleep well for two nights. I had kindly written back and explained that a 1.0 should be reserved for the utmost worst, and that I would be more than happy to talk more about this. No response so far. It's unfortunate that a 1.0 can affect someone so strongly, more than I'd like to admit, but it did stir me to write about ratings in the Noticing Newbies Newsletter this week. I'm hoping that others will better understand the rating system because of it, and hopefully help to avoid unnecessary grief. I'd also like to make it very clear... Never, and I mean never give someone a low rating because you do not agree with their opinion. This is very unfair. We live in a free country and are allowed to hold our own views, though we might not agree with others. Treat each and every item you rate and review with this respect. We're not here to change people's opinions, we are here to help and encourage a writer to improve their item by offering them honest suggestions in a respectable manner. No one wants to feel like crap. How you rate others and what you say in your review is usually taken very seriously.

There are plenty of items written on how members rate and review. I've added a few examples below. We all seem to have our own system, but the bottom line is, we basically (at least most of us) rate on a scale of 1.0 to 5.0, 1.0 representing the worst of the worst, and 5.0 standing for the best of the best. Here is my quickie rating system:

5.0 - This piece could not be any better written. All grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. are perfect. There are absolutely no typos. The content is exceptional. In other words, this piece is outstanding and ready for possible publication.

4.5 - Darn near perfect. This item has very few typos. The content needs very little work, if any. The piece was an enjoyable read.

4.0 - Very nicely written other than a few repetitious words and a handful of typos. A little work would definitely bump the rating up easily.

3.5 - Above average content with lots of possibilities. Repetitive typos and some unanswered questions, but not many. A good read but could use a little work.

3.0 - Average, not real exciting content, but not too bad. Could be strengthened somewhat to lure the reader in. The spelling, punctuation, etc. needs a bit more tending to for a higher rating. The reader may feel not all issues were resolved and is left with too many unanswered questions.

2.5 - Below average, but with some hard work on the author's part, it's definitely not impossible to fix all the typos. The content might be on the weak side, but could be strengthened. Not every sentence makes sense; some are too long. Too many pronouns which can be confusing to the reader.

2.0 - Everything might be one big paragraph, but has potential. Punctuation needs lots of work, spelling is careless in areas. This looks like a draft but it's not labeled as one.

1.5 - Needs work bigtime! There are no paragraph breaks, proper nouns are not capitalized, spelling is bad, plot (if any at all) is weak. It's a total chore to read it. This would be a major task to correct, if the author becomes ambitious enough to tackle.

1.0 - Beyond hope. This item was not thought out at all. It might be all scrambled letters, or perhaps a piece that skips over many necessary words. Sentences make absolutely no sense. This is the bottom of the barrel. It's the kind of piece that will never go anywhere because the author doesn't care. I like to think anything can be improved, but after cominig across a few with only basically a mixture of letters, I lose hope. And I save 1.0s for the pieces where there is no hope at all.


Last, but not least, always be kind when giving a rate and review. Try to give at least one positive and encouraging comment. It might make someone's day go better. *Wink*

Love, Cubby “)


Just a few helpful links:
"How Should I Rate Items on Writing.Com?
"Comment-In-A-Box
"Invalid Item
"Rating Inflation!
"Invalid Item

Editor's Picks

*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*



*Flower2* Got questions? You might find some answers here...*Flower2*


Getting Started: Table of Contents  (E)
Visit here for a tour of Writing.Com and learn about this vast, exciting site!
#168945 by The StoryMistress

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#794007 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#741058 by Not Available.


*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*


*Star* ~~~And Now... For Our Featured Newbie Presentation!~~~ *Star*


*Flower2*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Excerpt: I slid back one of the cabinet doors and saw a pair of old shoes -- worn, black wingtips, pointing upright, heels touching, toes apart, soles pressed flat against the side of the cabinet. For just a second I thought it was an odd way for shoes to be situated, and then I noticed the flattened cuff of a dusty pair of pants.

*Flower2*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Excerpt: Furiously she painted until the image was almost done and then with a few finish touches to the hair it was done. No sooner had she laid the brush down than the room started spinning crazily and then everything turned black.

*Flower2*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Excerpt: Without warning an Iraqi man is standing ten feet in front of him pointing a gun straight at his face. The fear and the sense of evil seem to vanish from Harold replaced with singular lucidity. He is looking directing into the eyes of a mortal enemy. Eyes that are melting and tears run down the Iraqi's cheek. The surreal now has become very real.

*Flower2*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

Excerpt: Now legend says that things were not always like this, and that there was a time when dragons and humans were bound together in trust and friendship. However, ask any sensible dragon what they think of that particular idea and they would laugh in your face (a very intimidating experience). Who could imagine being friends with a human, they would ask. After all, legend is a liar as often as not, and it certainly does not help to confuse what is food and what is friend.

*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*


*Star* Great Places for Newbies to Check Out! *Star*


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#844409 by Not Available.

FORUM
Noticing Newbies  (13+)
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
#126963 by The StoryMistress

THE DROP-OFF BOX   (13+)
Monthly newbie contest.
#530577 by Tammy~Catchin Up~

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#822284 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#837496 by Not Available.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#908140 by Not Available.


*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*

*Star* Winners of the Children’s Poetry Contest for Newbies ! *Star*

*Note1* This was such a hard contest to judge! There's a lot of talent here.
First Place
The Christmas Angel  (E)
Christmas poem with a message...great for children and/or reading aloud!
#945279 by fyn


Second Place
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#935287 by Not Available.


Third Place
 My Halo  (E)
Sally Mae reflects on how good she has been all day
#947563 by GMD


Fourth Place
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#933676 by Not Available.


Tie:
Fifth Place
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#949804 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#951407 by Not Available.


Honorable Mention

 A White Winter Kingdom  (E)
A poem written when I was a child about how much I loved playing in the snow.
#952598 by Meyo, filled with wanderlust

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer


*Flower2*~ Yeah, Feedback! ~*Flower2*


*Star* PastVoices
Cubby,

Another absolutely wonderful Newbie Newsletter. I really adore the use of excerpts from the pieces you select!

What topics would you like to see covered in future Noticing Newbies Newsletters?

I am not a Newbie anymore, but I would sure love to find out about power searches. I just don't have any luck with them.

Thanks and Newspaper ON!!


Thank you. *Smile* I enjoy adding the excerpts, too. I'm glad you like them. And I'm sure one of us will cover Power Searches for a future topic. I use Power Search quite often and it's mighty useful when putting together a newsletter. *Wink*

*Star* April Sunday
Point taken of reviewing and response. Nice to see in print, thanks ... Good advise, really. from Teff

You are very welcome, Teff. Thank you for the nice response. *Smile*

*Star* Puditat
Cubby...just brilliant.

It is the most important social expectation. Whether we can see the person or not does not take away the common courtesy of respect. If we want respect, we must be respectful.

Great tackling of the topic. Keep it up! *Heart*


Thank you! Common courtesy should be a requirement, lol!

*Star* esprit
Another awesome editorial, Cubby! You've given some wonderful advice and tips on giving and accepting reviews. Looks like another good lineup on newbie reads too. Good for you! Oh, and the quote by Faulkner is perfect.

Thanks, esprit! You're a sweatheart, as always!

*Star* schipperke
Cubby:
Thank you for writing this editorial on reviewing and how to gracefully receive a review. What makes this site so great is all the diverse members and styles. Kind of like all the beautiful colors you use for YOUR reviews!


*Bigsmile* You are welcome... and I agree with you about all the diverse members and styles. It'd be pretty boring otherwise, lol!

*Star* lostinapaprbag
What a colorful Newsletter!! And I loved the animated image at the top of "About This Newsletter" - so cute! The topic you covered about respectful in reviews (and we mustn't forget polite responses, as well! ) was excellent. I also think its especially kind when people give out a small but thoughtful 50 or 100 GPs just for reviewing! Well, keep on keepin' on you funny bunny.

~PiNkY~


Thank you, Pinky. *Bigsmile* And I almost always sent GPs along with my review, for encouragement. I think it helps the author to feel like his or her piece is worthy, even if the rating is low. *Smile*

*Star* darkin
Wonderful suggestions on reviewing! I especially like the respect listing at the end! Well done, Cubby!!!

And your picks are outstanding. I'll be check them out right away!

Darkin


Thanks, Darkin! I appreciate your positive comments!

*Star* edene
I am such a cornball, I am writing to tell you that I thought the rabbit was adorable. That's one thing I enjoy here...the awesome graphics.
I commend all of the newsletter editors for your "community service."
Thanks for doing what you do, guys!


Aw, what a nice think to say! And I'm sure I speak for the entire team of Noticing Newbies Newsletter editors when I say, "It's our pleasure!" If we didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't be involved. *Heart* Hey, if it takes a cornball to tell me my rabbit was adorable, I'll take all the cornballs I can get. *Laugh*

*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*

*Right* Quote: "Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure."
~ Oliver Herford


*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*

*Star* Cubby's Question of the Week*Star*

What is it that you would most like to achieve in your writing?


*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*

** Image ID #958661 Unavailable **

See you again on May 18th!
Love, Cubby ")


*Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star**Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2* *Star* *Flower2*


*Exclaim* Next week's editor will be... Puditat *Exclaim* 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm | Modified: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380188-April-20-2005-grcubby