*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380197-June-22-2005-kiwiangel
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
June 22, 2005: kiwiangel

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Reading* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Reading*


Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Your host this week is: Puditat

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Your Queries


This time around, I noticed that there are some great questions. It is so good to see that you know where to go to ask.

So this issue is dedicated to answering some of your queries from the feedback form. These questions are not all recently received. Some are old and some are not addressed to me, but they all represent common questions and so I have used them to give a good range of answers. All answers are brief, but should hopefully give you a good starting point.

^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^


*Question* How are Editor's Picks chosen? Are writers required to submit their writings? If so, where? Thanks. :O)

submitted by: TalCre Writess


*Idea* Each editor has their own way of picking what they will highlight in their newsletter. For the Noticing Newbies newsletter, only Newbies work can be featured in the "Editor's Picks". So, if you submit to that newsletter and fall outside of the time period, your item will not be chosen.

For other newsletters, editors may perform a keyword search to match their topic, search by genre or type, or by any manner of other ways - random chance sometimes. Most will check the items submitted via the Newsletter's feedback form, and include any that they would like to. But it does not guarantee acceptance into the newsletter, just like any submission to a publisher (although we're not as tough *Wink*).

So, if you have work you would like to submit to a newsletter, use the feedback form at the bottom of the appropriate newsletter and enter the item ID number in the box provided.

*Star* * *Star* * *Star*


*Question* Hello. How do I get one of my items to appear in the "Read a Newbie" spot on writing.com?

submitted by: mistermercy


*Idea* As mentioned above, only Newbies can be featured in the Noticing Newbies newsletter. To further clarify, to be a Newbie for the purposes of this newsletter, is 31 days or less since they joined Writing.com.

Members who are returning to Writing.com after a previous deleted account (for whatever reason) are not deemed to be Newbies.

*Star* * *Star* * *Star*


*Question* There are some forums where the link says to click to introduce yourself but when I click, I get a message that the forum is private. Am I doing something incorrectly?
Jo

submitted by: angelique54


*Idea* No, you're not. Don't worry, you have done exactly the right thing. The 'problem' lies in the court of the item's owner. There are a few reasons why this may be occurring:

*Bullet* The author may have forgotten that the access is private, and may appreciate you letting them know (especially if it is a recent post).

*Bullet* The author has withdrawn access to that item for some reason; either to update or edit, or because the post is out of date.

*Bullet* The item has been set to a higher level of access than you have, eg. for Moderators only.

*Bullet* The item may have a passkey to allow access. Check the forum post for the number, if it is not there, you may query the owner of the item.

*Bullet* The item is restricted to members of a particular group only. You could query the owner if you are interested in the group, which ideally should be mentioned somewhere in the post or the item's description or title.

*Star* * *Star* * *Star*


*Question* Thanks Now can I ask a simply question? How do we post to some of the contests? I wanted to give a few a try but kind of got lost along the way.

submitted by: Darkstorm


*Idea* The most usual form for contests is to post a link to your item in the contest forum.

You will need the number handy from your item which you can see in your portfolio or at the top of the item when you are in it.

Check that your entry meets all of the contest's prompts, rules and requirements. In the forum choose "Post New Message". Type in {bitem:######} where the #'s are replaced by the number of your item. Click on "Submit Post" and you're done. As a tip, go into your post and check that it's correct. It is so easy to type a wrong number and enter someone else's item by mistake! *Wink*

^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^


Well, I hope that is of use to some people out there.

Until next time, this is Puditat leaving you with warm wishes and sunshine in your day.

noticing newbies committee sig


Editor's Picks

Frontier Photographer--Ridgway Glover  (13+)
Tells of the disappearance of historical photos at the death of the photographer
#982233 by Judy


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#979647 by Not Available.


 Thoughts on writing in general  (E)
Initial thoughts on this site and the opportunity to explore.
#981969 by autumnlady


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982407 by Not Available.


 Cripple  (13+)
Cripple has a broken pelvis and a red frock. She has everything.
#982405 by Tomacco04G


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982395 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982390 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982372 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982319 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#981351 by Not Available.


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Not a newbie..sub'd to this NL to offer REVIEWS
Anyone can be R&R'd by me (pre/sci-fi) but all welc.
Come to my port/read a piece/ I'll give an honest
review in ret.
DuraH (the Guru of Sci-Fi)
bobneH .. aka.. just bob

         Great! Thank you for offering this to our readers. *Delight*

i dont know how to put my stuff on the site....ugh... i just joined yesterday...please help me...thank you...:)

**soey
soey

         I answered soey privately via email. I hope everything is going well for you now, soey. *Smile*

Thank you for the Guestbook Formats. This is definitely appreciated information. I needed an excuse to add a Guestbook in My Portfolio. You provided excuses and directions. What more could I ask for? :O)
TalCre Writess

         Glad I could give you the excuse. *Bigsmile*

^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^

Editors love feedback!
Do you have any queries, problems, praise or advice?
Send it to one of Editors via the feedback form on this newsletter,
or direct to their email by clicking the wee envelope after their handle.
*Smile**Bigsmile**Delight*


^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^<>^

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm | Modified: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380197-June-22-2005-kiwiangel