*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/385259-Too-late-to-turn-back
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#385259 added November 10, 2005 at 5:29pm
Restrictions: None
Too late to turn back
“The meeting’s been cancelled.” Sarah said to me over the phone. Oh great, and I’ve spend the last 30 minutes preparing. Plus, I rearranged my work schedule cuz…oh never mind.

“Let’s do lunch,” she said, now that we suddenly have an hour of free time.

“Great.” I’m always up for an excuse to leave the facility.

So, we went to Panera Bread. Had Black bean Cuban soup and sandwiches while chatting about spouses, motherhood, our boss, and of course, tennis. Sarah is a 3.5 player who plays several leagues a season including both USTA and ALTA. Anyone who drives 90 minutes just to get to where the match is…on a weekly basis is dedicated to the game.

“Are you doing the JDS Memorial?” she asks, sipping on her lemonade. The JDS Memorial is a great annual event which culminates the year end activities for one of our local Community Tennis Associations. Your entry fee includes two events and a dinner party afterwards. I’ve never done the tournament. I have gone to the dinner parties – great fun. as are the afterparties following the dinner. (being a site coordinator of a tennis facility secures me an invite.)

“Yes.” I tell her. I entered at the last minute. “I’m only playing in one event though, 2.5 doubles.” Since there are only three teams of 2.5 doubles, we will do a round robin so I’ll get to play two matches. I think that’s enough for me, since I’m not really a tournament player.

I don’t expect to win, but I will focus on it. After all, I did pay the entry fee, I’m entitled to a trophy aren’t I?

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/385259-Too-late-to-turn-back