*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387579
by RASM
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1028702
First book in a series about 8 teens who find stones allowing them to control nature.
#387579 added November 25, 2005 at 11:34am
Restrictions: None
The Demon Rachel
Chapter 22

The Demon Rachel





“Mom, I’m gonna go see if I can find some more moose. Is that OK?” asked Brittney to her mother while getting dressed to go outside in the snow covered mountain. Brittney walked to the closet and put on her special hunting belt. She loaded it with two handguns and four hunting knives. She then put on her jacket and grabbed her sniper rifle. She swung the rifle over her shoulder and then reached to the top shelf and grabbed her crossbow and her arrows.

Brittney walked out of her room and went to the front of her house. She opened the front door and walked outside. Brittney went to her Jeep and threw her rifle, crossbow, arrows, and belt in the back seat. She then walked back inside and sat down to eat her breakfast.

She opened the refrigerator and pulled out the bacon, ham, and Canadian bacon. Brittney cut herself a few slices and put them on her plate. She then opened the microwave and put the plate of meat inside it to warm it up. She then opened the kitchen cabinet and pulled out a large glass. She opened the refrigerator again and poured herself a nice sized cup of chocolate milk. She shut the refrigerator door with her foot and opened the freezer.

Brittney pulled out the box of Eggo’s chocolate chip waffles and put it on the counter. She opened the box and pulled out two waffles and put them in the toaster. She closed the box and put it back into the freezer. The microwave beeped and she went to collect her plate. The waffles then popped out of the toaster. Brittney walked over and put the waffles on her plate. She then grabbed a fork and knife along with her glass of milk and put them on the table. Brittney grabbed her warm plate of food and put it on the table as well. She sat down and was about to start eating her waffle when she said, “That’s right, I forgot the butter and syrup!”

She hurried to the refrigerator and pulled out the butter and maple syrup. She then prepared her meal and began eating. Brittney’s mom then walked into the kitchen and asked, “Brittney, what was that you were yelling about earlier?”

“Oh nothing,” said Brittney with her mouth half full of bacon and waffle, “I just wanted to go hunt some more moose today, or maybe some elk.”

“Oh that’s a great idea. We are starting to run out. We only have about five pounds of meat left,” said her mom.

“I’ll be out as soon as I finish breakfast. I hope to be back by lunch time so that we can have a burger of fresh meat.” Her mother nodded and Brittney quickly ate her very large meal. She then put her dish, cup, and utensils in the sink and then walked to her car.

Brittney put her keys in the ignition and powered up the engine of her car. She put the car in drive and pushed on the pedal. She drove out of her driveway and toward the hunting reserve. She turned grabbed her favorite CD and put it into the CD player of the car. She skipped to her favorite song “Get Out/Leave”.

Brittney pressed the accelerator and her car began to move faster along the highway. Her long black hair flowed in the air behind her while she drove. She got several whistles from guys who were driving past her. She smiled politely, but thought nothing of it. She knew that her heart belonged to Jonathan.

She remembered how she almost died, but Jonathan never left her side. He stayed next to her in the hospital until she was released. Her love for him had grown during those days. She had always felt something for him. They had grown up together and would have probably been steady dates by now, if it were not for her family needing to move away to Colorado.

Remembering having to move to Colorado made her mad and she started to shift gears and drive well above the speed limit. She began to weave in and out of lanes becoming more and more reckless. “WHY DID WE HAVE TO MOVE?!? WHY?!?” shouted Brittney to the sky. She then banged her arm against the steering wheel and looked down. When she looked up she noticed she was about to hit another car and swerved out of her lane just barely missing the car in front of her.

Brittney decided to drive at the speed limit for the rest of the drive until she reached the reserve. She looked at the road exit signs over her head as she drove and noticed that the hunting reserve was in the next exit. She looked through her mirrors and noticed that there were no cars between her and the exit. She turned the steering wheel and dove across three lanes into the lane leading to the exit.

It took her about ten minutes to reach the entrance of the hunting reserve. When she reached the gate, the guard came out and said, “Oh hey Brittney. Long time no see. Where’ve you been?”

“Oh, I know its been a while. I almost died in a rock climbing accident a few weeks back. Fell and hit my head pretty bad,” explained Brittney.

“Well, that is definitely a good reason to not have been here for a while. Well, you best be on your way,” said the guard.

“One more thing, Justin, where has the best hunting been?” asked Brittney.

“I’ve heard that there has been good game over in the east side, but the animals seemed to be pretty small,” said Justin.

“Thanks,” said Brittney stepping on the clutch and driving into the reserve, “See you around!” Brittney continued to drive and reached a sign that said “West” and “East”. Under “West”, there was an arrow pointing to the right and under “East” an arrow pointing to the left.

Brittney turned her steering wheel to the right and said to herself under her breath, “All the animals have probably left the east by now, but all the people who come here are amateurs so what would they know.” She drove her car for about fifteen miles into the reserve and parked it in the snow among some trees and shrubs.

She got out and put on her belt and swung her rifle over her shoulder. She then grabbed her crossbow and put let it lay in her hands. Brittney also grabbed the arrows and swung them over her other shoulder. She put her car keys in her pocket and walked through the forest in search of a river or some tall grass. Brittney kept her head down looking for tracks or manure.

She continued to walk among the trees occasionally looking up. Brittney found a large pile of manure. She could tell it was warm from the steam coming from the pile of turds. She lifted her head and looked at the trees surrounding the manure. Brittney noticed that there were scratch marks on the tree, but they were horizontal instead of vertical.

“Whew, thank God this isn’t a bear. If they were up and down, it would’ve been something sharpening its claws. Plus, these are really high up the tree. Only polar bears or the brown bears on Kodiak Island could’ve made these. That leaves two animals, moose and elk. Either way, it’s a meal,” said Brittney to herself.

She pulled an arrow from over her shoulder and loaded her crossbow. She reached into her belt and loaded both of her handguns as well and then slid them back in. Her arm went over her head and swung the rifle over her shoulder and loaded it as well. “He’s close, I can almost smell him,” she said yet again to herself.

Brittney picked up the pace and began to jog quietly following small dents in the snow. She continued this for about five minutes and then heard a low bugle like noise. She slowed and kept alert. She knew she was near. She knew the power a full grown male moose possessed.

Brittney approached a large meadow and found her prize, a large male moose that must have weighed close to a ton. She lay down in the snow and snatched her sniper rifle from behind her and leveled it with the moose. “Here moosey, moosey, moosey,” called Brittney softly to the moose as she looked through the scope of the rifle and took aim for its vital organs.

Just when she was about to fire, the moose began to run at full speed. “Damn it,” said Brittney in frustration. Then out of the sky a large figure swooped down upon the moose and knocked it down on its side. The creature then began to attack the moose and killed it in a matter of seconds. The moose never had a chance.

Brittney, meanwhile, remained lying down in the snow watching the attack in awe. The creature looked as if it was a human female, but it had large bat like wings protruding from its back. It tore up the moose and began to feast on its organs. It shouted, “Food, I have longed for something like this for so many painful years. Finally!”

Brittney continued to watch in awe when a thought popped into her head. A creature that no one had seen before in their lives would make an amazing trophy for her as a hunter. She grabbed her rifle and again took aim, this time at the strange creature. She was so overcome with excitement, that she began to move the rifle a little bit. She fired her shot when she thought she was aiming at the creature’s torso, but she missed and the shot went through its wing.

“HHHHEEEEAAAA!” bellowed the creature in pain and alarm. Its head turned directly toward Brittney and Brittney saw the blood dripping down its chin. She knew she had been spotted. The creature opened its wings and flew directly at Brittney. Brittney had experienced this before with other animals while hunting.

A charge is one of the things a hunter fears most. Brittney had to try to stop the charge. She lay her rifle on the ground and grabbed her crossbow she loaded it with two arrows and took aim. She fired the weapon as rapidly as possible to try and stop the beast. She noticed that nothing was stopping the car so she ran. She dropped those weapons and ran as fast as her legs could carry her back to her car. The creature continued to close the distance between them two and all Brittney could do was hope she wouldn’t get a cramp before she reached the car.

Out of no where, the ground where Brittney was going to step rose up into a small hill causing Brittney to trip and hit the ground. She tried to get up, but there wasn’t going to be time to think. There was only enough time for her to react. From her belt she pulled her two handguns and fired them at the creature. It was enough to slow the attack down just allowing her to escape.

She jumped over the hill and threw two of her knives at the creature hitting it right in the chest. The creature was even more enraged and then a ring formed around Brittney, a ring of rocks with her in the middle. She was trapped and she knew it.

Brittney decided to ask, “What are you?”

The creature looked puzzled and then responded, “Have you never heard of the eight demons?”

“Wait, you are a demon?”

“Yes, one of eight. We control the elements of wind, earth, fire, lightning, ice, water, animals, and plants.”

“Why are you here?”

“To claim what is rightfully mine and afterward destroy everything around here.”

“What do you want?”

“Give me the stone and I will let you be my humble slave.”

“What stone? Lady, I don’t know what you are talking about.” All this was being said as a distraction as Brittney reloaded her handguns so that she could take a few quick shots and then run off to her Jeep.

“There is one more thing that I need in order to have no resistance in the destruction of your world. That is the stone of earth. Now I will ask but only once more for it.”

“Just tell me, what is your name?”

“My name is Rachel. Now if you could give me the stone, I will spare you. I will not ask anymore. The next time, I will take it from you.”

“I want to see you try!” shouted Brittney as she lifted her handguns and shot the demon several times. She then placed the guns back into her belt and scaled the walls in no time at all. When she reached the top, she jumped and sprinted as fast as she could back to her jeep without looking back.

Brittney could hear the demon approaching but kept running even knowing that she would probably not make it. Her hair got in her eyes and when she brushed it away, she was able to see her car. She got the key out jumped over the door of the car into the driver’s seat.

She put the key into the ignition and turned it to start the car. The car wouldn’t start. “Come on, come on. I need to get out of here!” shouted Brittney to her car. Rachel finally came into sight and the car started. She quickly put the vehicle into reverse and began to drive backward looking only through the rear view mirror.

Brittney seized the opportunity and grabbed her handguns and began firing yet again. They quickly ran out of ammunition. She ejected the old cartridges and grabbed the new ones. She placed them in the guns with only one hand on each gun and pushed them against each other locking them in all the way.

She began firing yet again, and as soon as she ran out, she turned her steering wheel, turning the car and rapidly put the car into four-wheel drive and sped off as fast as she could. She looked in the rear view mirror and could see Rachel chasing her and still catching up.

Rachel sped up and the gap closed quickly. Brittney decided to wait for her to get close. As Rachel approached, Brittney continued to accelerate and when Rachel was about fifteen feet away, Brittney hit the brakes and turned the wheel completely spinning her car around and she had Rachel fly over her head. As soon as the jeep was completely spun around, she floored it and drove off back to where they met.

If she was going to do any more damage, she needed her crossbow and the rifle. She kept driving and veered right as she passed the structure in which she was briefly contained. She was getting close to where she left her weapons. She opened her car door and locked it in place with a crowbar.

Brittney leaned over the side and snatched up both of her weapons while speeding past and put them in the seat next to her. She slammed on the brakes again and spun her car around so that the side of her car was facing the path from which she came. She grabbed her rifle and steadied it. Took aim and was ready to fire, when she heard from beside her, “Brittney, you have got to get out of here.”

Brittney fired the gun out of fear and then turned to face the person to whom she spoke with. When she turned, she found a young man in clothes that is not meant for cold weather. It was Jonathan. She pulled him to her and kissed him and said, “Oh thank God, I thought you were that demon.”

“Brittney, you need to leave. I need to fight stop the demon,” said Jonathan.

“But why do you need to fight her?” asked Brittney curiously.

“I have the stone she wants.”
© Copyright 2005 RASM (UN: rasm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RASM has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/387579