*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/397608-Theatre-Audition
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#397608 added January 7, 2006 at 7:57pm
Restrictions: None
Theatre Audition
As I'm in the process of unboxing and settling in my new abode, and of course have lots of time on my hands, and also because I've quit smoking a week, I called in to a local Dallas theatre group and I have an audition on Monday evening. Shall I be an actress?

I've already gone through talking myself in and out of this. I have no real theater experience--not since high school, but I've done some runway modeling, and teaching sixth grade certainly should count for acting. You have to in order to keep the students' attention. I've had scrimishes reading my poetry in public, and in front of a television camera, so I think I can do it. At least I can show up to the audition. It's a cold reading of the script, which I found out how to get ahold of today. Hope to get my eyes on it tomorrow.

I don't really expect to be hired, but I'm not expecting it so much that it might happen. I hope I can memorize lines. That's some brain cells I haven't used in awhile.

I must be slightly manic, which is much better than my usual seasonal depression, or I wouldn't be outgoing enough to try this. I heard Dana Carvey on an interview say that he was a "situational extrovert". As a shy person, but former teacher, the concept totally hit home.

I don't know that it follows that if I can write, then I can act. Lots of actors get to be directors, and I'm coming off tutoring cinematography last semester. I learned a lot. I gained an admiration for the stage from watching "Citizen Kane," and researching on Orson Wells. We got an A on the paper too, which was nice for my student.

I saw an ad in my new neighborhood newspaper, "call for open audition". They need 5 men and 3 women. I called today and changed my audition time from Sunday afternoon to Monday evening because there's a gas leak in the house, and the city came and shut the gas off to the house. That means no hot water, and I NEED a luxurious candle lit bubble bath before I take on playing a character. Artists are supposed to struggle, but rescheduling seemed less painful. I hate cold baths in the winter.

Several bipolars I've found on line have been actors and actresses. I think maybe when you have mood swings, it's easier to pull at emotions on demand. The play is a comedy, and acting it it is a long shot, but why not? It's a new year, and life is for living.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/397608-Theatre-Audition