*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/398994-Jon-Lovitz-Academy-of-Acting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#398994 added January 13, 2006 at 2:44am
Restrictions: None
Jon Lovitz Academy of Acting
I had a shot at 15 minutes of fame. It'll come somewhere else. I read for an audition for the Pocket Sandwich Theatre. The play is written by Stephen Van Zandt's brother, and a woman, being first performed around New Jersey in 1979. It's a funny script.

I was real relaxed during the session. The producer, Andy, had about 8 to 10 men and women scattered throughout the pub type atmosphere of the sandwich theatre. The stage sits in the center of the room with elevated bar sections, and seemed small, but not in comparison to the seating. I haven't been there for a show, but it seemed it would be very crowded.

I read in the third group of people on the stage. I was dressed professionally in a black and red suit outfit. I forgot to take my coat off. I moved on the stage, but not comfortably. In "audition tips" I'd read that they caution you to speak slowly. The producer kept trying to get things to go faster.

I read as the main character's mother. I felt too young for the part, though the guy was tall like me, and we had the same coloring. I left my fill-in-the-blank form for the play, plus a resume and head shot. Maybe the package will get saved for the future, or passed on to someone else. Don't know about this acting stuff. The pay is WORSE than writing!

I think I'd rather write the words than be constrained to speak certain words with no variation. That was plain in the copywrite of my copy of the play. But at least I had the gumption to show up for an audition, and go through with it. There was a time I was reserved in a bipolar and depressed way. I'm not now, and it's so great. Just another experience of rejection, since I haven't gotten a call back yet. No great disappointment. It would have been a lot to memorize, and a lot of physical labor. I offered to work on lights, but I don't know that I'd want to do it for free. A play is a two month period of dedication at this place. I'm glad I had the opportunity to audition, and I might try it again. I need to fill this in at www.43thingsIwanttodo.com. It's a place to keep a record of goals, and dreams.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/398994-Jon-Lovitz-Academy-of-Acting