*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401161-The-Jokester
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#401161 added January 21, 2006 at 5:54pm
Restrictions: None
The Jokester
Discontentment is not always a bad thing. It helps to motivate you, to constantly reach for that one goal that never seems to move nearer. It may get close enough for you to touch, but when your hand reaches out, it giggles and moves away again, too fast for you to catch. It changes shape, sometimes disappearing only to reappear in a place or a time you might never expect.

I originally signed up for the Christian Writer’s Guild Apprentice correspondence course because I liked how it was designed to teach all forms of writing, from many types of articles, non-fiction books, poetry, church drama, screen plays and ending with novels. Wanting to concentrate on fiction and not all that interested in the non-fiction portions, I figured why narrow my learning? I might find I like non-fiction and realize that perhaps fiction was not the road (or at least not the only road) of writing God wants me to take.

Although I did enjoy writing some articles, and even succeeded (according to my mentor anyway, to the point he encouraged me to seek out publication) in a few of my lessons, for the most part I hated it. Some were so daunting, they brought me to tears. I came to the conclusion I didn’t know enough about anything to impart to other people to continue to write articles, let alone tackle a non-fiction book. I understood beyond all doubt God had no intention for me to write anything non-fiction. I couldn’t wait to begin the fiction lessons.

This is where I think God decided to play a little joke on me (I can hear a few of you snickering; you already know where this is going, don’t you?). As soon as I began the fiction assignments, I received some glowing comments on my Going Pro publication journal
 Ah, the pitfalls of seeking publication.  (13+)
Borderline manic-depressive entries about my journey toward publication.
#1011142 by vivacious
, and even discovered I had a few return readers who not only continued to encourage me to submit my work in spite of the rejections, but to keep my journal updated as it was a good read. One even said (and yes, I admit to bragging at this point),

“Boy have you "hit the nail on the head" in regards to the feelings and thoughts that have also filled my head when I contemplate sending off my own works to editors. Your humor is infectious also, I have to admit to tears and depression but if a person can't see the humor in our desired profession then they shouldn't even be there. What other jobs are out there that require you to be your best each and every time? To me this smacks of Erma Bombeck one of my favorite humorists.”

I do have to add that I never dreamed of getting a comment like that. I’m still a bit shocked by it. I never before thought of myself as funny, let alone be compared to a top funny lady like Erma Bombeck.

That’s when I decided to set up a blog. I figured since I keep a journal anyway, why not electronically for other people to read and enjoy? I had started to read others and noticed how much fun they were having as well as meeting and corresponding with others. Besides, I thought it would be a great way to learn how to better communicate my thoughts, especially if others left their own comments along the way. I have yet to be disappointed.

So now that I’m supposed to be concentrating on writing fiction, I am having far more fun and learning so much more with blogging. Since then, I have a few articles and even a non-fiction book idea bounding around in this head of mine. So much for hating non-fiction and believing I could never do it successfully.

Thanks, God. Now quit laughing.


PS. Special thanks to Scarlett for adding my blog to her Editor's Picks in the third installment of "Invalid Item. I'm flattered to be counted among the great bloggers she included me with *Blush*.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401161-The-Jokester