*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401350-Puzzle-Pieces
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#401350 added January 22, 2006 at 2:38pm
Restrictions: None
Puzzle Pieces
Have you ever had someone say something or have read something, only to have it stick with you, sometimes for years, without really knowing why? And then, someone else comes along saying something on a completely different matter and in a different context, but what they say fits so well into the previously imparted words of wisdom, thereby making you realize why the first one stuck with you?

Okay, to make that seem less confusing, about a year ago now, I went through “The Purpose Driven Life” with other members of my church. Kermit stressed more than anything the importance of becoming involved in the church, because the pastor can’t do everything. He then told the story of an artist who wanted to paint murals and posters for his new church. But this man said nothing about his desires. He then left the church, unfulfilled. His reason? This church never asked him if he wanted to do these things. Well of course not! How is anyone supposed to know what you’re willing and able to do unless you tell them?

Then, three weeks ago in Bible study, Kermit mentioned what he, the music director, Ernie, and the youth pastor, Pete, planned on doing for Easter this year. They are putting together a church drama consisting of monologues of various biblical characters. What’s interesting is the characters they chose have no names and were given only passing mention in the Bible. For instance one of the characters is one of the Roman soldiers gambling for Jesus’ clothes at the Cross.

And just yesterday I read Voxxylady ’s blog "Even the industry doesn't seem to know... where she discussed the inconsistencies in advice for writers. But what I focused on was near the end:

Moral: regardless of how good a product is, it's the creator's belief in it and willingness to work hard at putting it out there that makes it sell, despite whether any of the "rules" are followed.

I have been wanting to offer my writing services to my church for a while now, but like the painter, I kept expecting someone to approach me. What I finally see in these three puzzle pieces is that if I want to make a contribution, I have to be a salesman. This holds true with publishers as well as my church.

So, taking this all to heart, I swallowed my fears and approached Ernie and asked if he needed writers for their church dramas. I didn't ask about the Easter one just in case they didn't need more writers for that one, but may need writers for other plays.

“For the Easter one?” he asked.
"Sure," I said.
“Pete’s the one you need to talk to. I’m producing it and putting together all the lighting and such, but Pete’s handling the writing.”

He then accosted Pete for me and said, “Talk to Andra. She has some news for you . . . good news.” He then flittered away to talk to other people. Let me just say one thing about Ernie. He has no trouble with selling, either himself or God. Wow. He will tire you out after only five minutes with him, but at the same time can’t help but steal some of that passion for yourself. That he’s a motivational speaker as well as a musician and pastor comes as no surprise.

Pete is a bit more down to earth. When I gave my not so energetic shpeal by asking, “Do you need writers for your church drama?”

He also asked if I meant the Easter play.

After I said yes he said, “We sure could. Give me your email address and I’ll email you the list of characters. You can then pick out the one that most appeals to you, and write that portion.”

And that’s all it took. One simple question.

He hasn’t emailed me the list yet (I asked him only an hour ago!), but I have a pretty good idea the character I want. Kermit had mentioned him during that Bible study class, and the thought of writing from his perspective resonated with me.

Unless someone already took that character, I want to write on the man who “the woman caught in the very act of adultery” was with. It will be interesting to write about his perspective as Jesus told the townspeople “He who has not sinned cast the first stone.”

But that might change once I get the list. Who knows if I will find someone else even more intriguing?

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401350-Puzzle-Pieces