*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/407042-The-Old-School
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#407042 added February 13, 2013 at 6:31am
Restrictions: None
The Old School
Yesterday my friend Gillian and I visited our old Headteacher, Mr Don Stendall. Now a sprightly 83 year-old but still the proud, strong and upright character he's always been.

I remember my first day of teaching. I arrived at the school a bag of nerves and was greeted by Mr Stendall, rather an authorative figure and obviously an old soldier with high standards. I was given my registers and sent into battle, so to speak.

Over the first few weeks I realised behind this tough exterior was a man with genuine values, astute insight and a heart of gold. By the end of my first year he gave me back something peevish, unjust teachers and college lecturers had taken away - my confidence.

Quietly supportive but not intrusive, recognising hard work and dedication he took his staff under his wing, but would not tolerate inappropriate behaviour or sloppiness. He earned respect from everyone; pupils, parents and staff alike.

His dry humour was often the cause of much squirming and he loved to watch his staff attempting to keep straight faces in front of the children. Like the time he walked into morning assembly and announced:

'This morning children, I'm thinking of a four letter word beginning with F.'

The word was 'fair.' And that he was, always. I spent a very happy ten years with him as my boss and was secretly pleased that he chose to retire when I left to have my son.

We've always kept in touch and visited him every so often. Sadly his wife died shortly after he retired and much as we know it broke his heart, he soldiered on as the brave souls do.

Yesterday, we laughed over coffee, took a walk around the lake of the beautiful park backing onto his home and ate lunch at the cafe in the grounds. On departing we hugged this now very vulnerable looking man and promised to visit again soon.

So this one's for you Don. I'm honoured to have worked for someone from 'the old school.' They don't make them like you any more.

Thanks to andrew and Nada for the merit badges. I'm a little behind (I wish) and out again tomorrow but I still WUB you all.

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/407042-The-Old-School