*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409277-Blasts-from-the-Past
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#409277 added February 26, 2006 at 3:42pm
Restrictions: None
Blasts from the Past
I was very interested in Nada 's blog yesterday where she shared an entry from an old journal she'd come across. I was also saddened and annoyed at my own stupidity.

I've never been a hoarder and the older I get, the less clutter I want or need. I tend to keep only essential items and things I hope I'll use in whatever future I have left. Not so the men in the house, who find even parting with an odd sock a great wrench. Anyway I digress.

Despite my preferance for minimalism there are certain things I cannot part with, although I'm very aware they probably serve no useful purpose. Things like ducks and bears, old photographs and items of sentimental value.

Shortly after I was married, an old schoolfriend visited me and we got to talking about the fun times at school, the parties and the old boyfriends of course. When I told her I still had all my diaries and letters from old flames, she was horrified.

She lectured me on how upset and hurt hubby would be if anything happened to me and he found these things, then persuaded me to bin the lot. Oh, silly, silly Scarlett. Within those diaries and letters was SO much material for fiction writing, so many memories I now don't recall and a record of a young life full of ups and downs, which are now just vague and distant misty recollections.

Now, I realise I should have hung onto all of it. Was I not supposed to have a past? Was I supposed to erase everything that happened pre-hubby as if it was of no importance? I no longer care what anyone finds when I leave this life. It's part of me and part of the life that's made me who I am and if it causes jealous feelings and upsets anyone else, so be it. I won't be here to take the flack so why should I worry?

I'd encourage young writers to hang on to their emotional past and letters of a personal nature; you never know when inspiration may strike through your own experiences in life and love.

I shall no longer part with letters and personal items that mean a lot to me. Not that I get many nowadays. I wonder what other members find difficult to part with?

© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409277-Blasts-from-the-Past