*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409099-My-Mate-Marmite
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#409099 added April 25, 2014 at 12:55pm
Restrictions: None
My Mate Marmite
I dedicate this entry to those of you who were puzzled by the mention of Marmite. Here is a little information on the product - never say I don't teach you anything new.

Basically, Marmite is spent brewer's yeast. Now that's not as rude as it may sound. It's only purpose has been to ferment sugars into alcohol, (get thee behind me) and was seen as an unpleasant by-product. Until 1902 when it was discovered the paste not only had a distinctive taste but was also highly nutritious.

It is 100 per cent vegetarian, contains hardly any fat or sugar and although undoubtedly salty in taste, actually contains very little. It can be eaten at any time of day, whether spread thinly on toast for breakfast, in sandwiches at lunchtime or as an added ingredient for stews and casseroles. Some people prefer it as a hot drink too.

Marmite is an excellent source of Vitamin B12 as well as Riboflavin, Niacin and Folic Acid. During both World Wars Marmite was served to soldiers on military duty and used to combat beri-beri and other diseases. During the Second World War it became a valued dietary supplement in prisoner-of-war camps.

Marmite has been sold in small earthenware pots of a distinctive shape from the outset, although during the 1920's the switch to glass containers took place. In the U.K. sales top 23.5 million a year, making Marmite the most popular savoury spread. Vegemite is a similar product but not as strong in taste and a little thinner in consistency.

During the 1980's the advertising slogan was 'Nothing tastes quite like my mate Marmite' but today it's 'Marmite - you either love it or hate it.' As I said, in my case that's not true. I've never decided whether I like it or not but will tolerate it as part of my dieting campaign. And I won't be getting beri-beri either. *Wink*

During my research I discovered an hilarious website called ''How much is inside a jar of Marmite' and also that you can purchase it on e-bay, so it's been a useful and amusing investigation. Don't you just love search engines?

So, there you have it. If you've never tasted Marmite I suggest you put it on your list of 'things to do before I die.' And so as you know what you're looking for, allow me to introduce you to 'My Mate Marmite.'








© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409099-My-Mate-Marmite