*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/411239-Environmentally-Unfriendly
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#411239 added February 3, 2015 at 4:10am
Restrictions: None
Environmentally Unfriendly
My resolve to take a lengthy walk each day takes some thought and planning. I try to avoid areas where I used to walk my dog, as I find it upsetting and it's quite a challenge to find new routes. But every day I attempt to walk somewhere I've not explored before.

It seems nature's cycle continues despite the unseasonable weather. There are buds appearing on trees and shrubs, crocii and snowdrops flowering and the new shoots of daffodils peeking through the soil. Last night as dusk approached a blackbird trilled its beautiful spring courting song and this morning I heard wood pigeons cooing; a sound I always associate with the prospect of better weather.

But as I walk, I despair at what mankind is doing to our planet. I've always loved this riddle -

Q Where would you see the most dangerous animal in the world?

A In the mirror.

I live in a small town which used to be surrounded by countryside. Slowly, this is being eaten away. Our lapwings will not be nesting in nearby fields this year; diggers and J.C.B's are tearing up the ground in preparation for the building of over 600 new residences. I believe the population is falling, this area has a high unemployment figure, there are many houses derelict or standing empty, the shopping area is very poor and run down, so WHY do we need new housing? I'm told it's cheaper housing for commuters but surely we shouldn't be living like this.

The land is green belt but apparently that stands for nothing these days. Wherever there is a spare piece of land it seems it must be built upon. It saddens me and I envisage this small country in the future becoming just one mass of buildings and roads with no green anywhere.

My walk today took me along the rear of a fairly old housing estate with some lovely properties overlooking farmland. The path was strewn with litter and debris, the fields contained many household items dumped by those too idle to take their unwanted goods to proper skips. Sometimes I despair of mankind. Not everyone of course; the cheery greetings and friendly smiles I receive from passers-by on my walks restore some of my faith.

But those with the power to decide what happens to our environment really brass me off. Our government stands by and watches our countryside being taken over by buildings, encourages more roads and traffic and thinks by banning smoking in pubs and dogs from beaches it's doing its bit for the environment. What a joke.

I shall continue to walk and explore new routes and watch nature do her work in the various seasons. This I can admire and smile about but wonder how long it will be before humanity totally ruins the world we live in.

© Copyright 2015 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/411239-Environmentally-Unfriendly