*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/412929-Trust-not-the-kindness-of-others---Lesson-4
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#412929 added March 14, 2006 at 10:32am
Restrictions: None
Trust not the kindness of others - Lesson 4
Working for Land O’ Lakes and having a three-state area to travel to the many turkey farms for any infections or diseases, Mom wasn’t home as much as she would have liked. But she many times hired a babysitter, a neighborhood high school girl I’ll call Kristy.

She reminded me a lot of the first babysitter I mentioned in that she loved Margaret and tolerated me, but less so. Whenever she played with Margaret, I was only allowed to watch from the other side of the room. Whenever I tried to participate, she always said no and turned her back on me.

This made her inviting me and not Margaret to a high school football game one night all the more confusing. But figuring she wanted to spend with me and perhaps deciding to like me after all, I agreed to go.

She picked me up and drove to the outdoor football field. She then took me near the far corner and top of the bleachers and said, “Stay here. I’m going to talk with my friends, but I’ll be back.”

I sat by myself and tried to both watch the game and Kristy. She soon found her group of friends and disappeared into the crowd.

She didn’t come back. I caught glimpses of her once in a while, but she never once glanced in my direction.

Now I’m getting pissed, not scared, pissed. I knew enough at nine, no one leaves a child unattended, especially in a crowded event like a football game. I did notice strange looks from other adults, but what I assumed to be concern. No one approached me, and having learned my previous lessons well, I kept to myself.

I tried again to watch the game, but my eyes kept pulling away, trying to find Kristy.

I don’t remember if Kristy returned when the game ended and drove me home, or if I'd had enough and called my mom to pick me up.

Either way, still furious with Kristy, I told my mom what happened - one of those rare times I stood up for myself. While I don’t recall the words, I do know Kristy and her parents got an earful from Mom that night over the phone.

Kristy never babysat Margaret and me again, thank God.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/412929-Trust-not-the-kindness-of-others---Lesson-4