*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414198-2nd-look-at-Addictions
by Fig
Rated: 18+ · Book · Teen · #956453
Hope is here. By hope i mean university life.
#414198 added March 20, 2006 at 9:37pm
Restrictions: None
2nd look at Addictions
Well... i guess i have to take another look at things i wrote here before... In show #10 and #6 I wrote about addictions to Alcohol & smoking. I'm looking at this topic again not because i said anything wrong when i posted before. In fact everything i said before i STILL agree with and i support 110%. People should NOT be smoking and alcohol is bad for your liver and you should NOT have an addiction to anything.

But, upon looking at the whole addiction topic once again, it is honestly hard to break a damn addiction. As i said in post #10 I was addicted to gaming and i still am.. in fact it has gotten worse. I honestly can't control it now, every spare chance i get i would leave class and to get my fill of gaming. Even if i was not playing a game, just the comfort of watching others play and hanging out with my friends who do is a big thrill for me. To the people who smoke.. i know how hard it is to not go a week without a cigarette. That is FOREVER! That's a ridiculously long time.. wow.. if you've ever been smoking and you've been able to control it i have alot of respect for you. I mean, the dangers of smoking are CLEAR AS DAY people shouldnt be doing the stupidity they do by smoking, but if somehow they got trapped and they can't get rid of the tobacco monkey, i sympathize. Its difficult..

With alcohol, i've began drinking more. But not like an alarming rate or anything mind you! I'm nowhere near the range of an alcoholic or casual drinker. I mean, if i'm offered a beer i would drink it, but i wouldn't go seeking alcohol. I've noticed that nowadays in parties alcohol help make the party better. There are alot of free drinks parties out and about these days. Before when I was younger we didnt have alcohol and we had a blast at parties, but now... so much beer and other stuff are passed around and some people believe they cant enjoy themselves without it... and the sad thing is at times i sometimes share that same belief. I find myself wanting a couple of beers at parties to 'loosen' up. But.. from RIGHT now i'm vowing to NOT drink at parties and see if i can enjoy myself... i'll update you on this vow i've made...

Have i strayed from the topic? Not really.. this is just me generally addressing everything. I'm not really pinpointing any particular problem today. In terms with my addiction to gaming, I've started to make progress. I went to ALL my classes today and it felt great. Because i actually was following the work with the lecturers and when the day was complete i felt proud.It was good going to class and being able to follow on the lecturer's every word and answer questions asked in class. It was uplifting to have a hunger to learn. It was wonderful knowing that i did not waste time and i spent my time on something worthwhile.. In these past few weeks I've begun to realise that i need to mature and i can't afford to let myself slide into the trap that everyone else has begun to fall into. I need to do things with my life than just sit down in front of computers and my ps2. I've recently called a group called the 'Heroes Foundation'. They're a group in my country that visits different orphanages and also donates to various charities. They believe that children can be educated through the values taught in comics. And in a way, they're right. Popular heroes such as Spiderman is an excellent example. His ever popular motto With great power comes great responsibility can help many a children. The idea they have is really good, by children learning what is right and wrong from Superheroes, they will be able to follow from their example. Also, i've started busying myself with gym and swimming in the pool on campus. It helps to take my mind off gaming...

I guess all i'm trying to say is, life is too precious and too short to throw away. Instead of wasting time smoking or drinking, do something productive. Make something of yourself. When you break away from your particular addiction you'll see how much of life you were missing out. I'm slowly but surely pulling away from it... hopefully i won't get sucked back in. I pray i don't...

Even though i'm still morally corrupt, i guess i still know what's right & wrong. And if I know what's right and wrong in the world then i know that YOU know what's still right and what's wrong.. do what's right.. not what's wrong


I'm not sure what my next topic will be... Guess you just have to stay tuned and see.

© Copyright 2006 Fig (UN: ninja64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fig has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414198-2nd-look-at-Addictions