*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416676-Big-hairy-donkeys
Rated: 13+ · Book · Animal · #1067322
Some thoughts on living and working in France and conversations with my sheep!
#416676 added May 6, 2006 at 9:03am
Restrictions: None
Big hairy donkeys.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** Last Wednesday we took our friends to the Haras National [national stud farm] for breeding of the Baudet du Poitou. This is a donkey that is native to my region of France and was very close to extinction. About 20 years ago a program was launched to save this remarkable donkey. It is one of the largest donkeys with a Rastapharian hairstyle and a lovely sweet nature. I first saw these lovely animals in 1992, I was here on my own for my Birthday [my husband was still spending a lot of time in England] so I decided to have a day out. I had heard about these donkeys and so set off to find the Haras. Even though it was mid March the weather was beautifully sunny and warm.
I arrived at my destination just after lunch, I was the only visitor. The gentleman who was one of the people responsible for the operation to save the Baudet du Poitou gave me a guided tour and his enthousiasm for this superb animal was plain to see. There were several foals with their mothers and I was able to go in with them and handle the foals.These animals are so gentle and the little ones have coats like silk.I had one of my best birthdays ever and have been in love with these donkeys eversince.Since that first visit I have been back several times and have seen the project evolve and expand and the number of donkeys is increasing slowly..The French have a knack of throwing all their energy into an idea and the results are always impressive.
I am hoping that now I have a little more time I maybe able to realise the dream that started that day of owning a Baudet du Poitou. If you would like to see a photo I took last Wednesday of a mother with her foal then please look in my Port. If you would like any more info on these amazing donkeys leave a comment.

© Copyright 2006 esperaza (UN: sheepish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
esperaza has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416676-Big-hairy-donkeys