*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419272-The-big-Day---Genetic-Counseling--Ultrasound
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#419272 added April 13, 2006 at 8:47am
Restrictions: None
The big Day - Genetic Counseling & Ultrasound
Well, I started to type this entry and saw an add on the side I wanted to click on. Lost everything. That sucks.

Let's try this again:

Brent and I got to the Northridge Hospital at 1. I signed in and filled out paperwork. While we have a PPO, Facey, our provider is an HMO. Brent thought it would be easier since my OB/GYN records were there, but with HMO there's a lot of "Hurry up and wait." I saw the genetic counselor finally at 2:15.

Basically, there wasn't much going on. There's a no to low risk at this point of birth defects.

*Smile* Side note: The genetic counselor asked: "There's no way your two families could be related, is there?"

Brent: "Hell, no! They're polar opposites!"

Which is very true.

From 2:15 to 4:15 I waited in the lobby. It was so packed, people were sitting on the floor. At 4:15 I went into the back, but waited another 45 minutes to see the doctor. My bladder was about to bust.

He came in and didn't say much. Grunted and Grunted some more as he looked at the baby, pushing on my very uncomfortable bladder! It sucked. We saw the head, it was well rounded. Baby looked like he was sucking his thumb. We saw the heartbeating.

Finally, after all that grunting the doctor goes: "Why won't you take the amnio? What will you do if the baby has Down's Syndrome?"

I told him that we probably would terminate the pregnancy - that's a mutual decision between Brent and I. Still, neither one of us have a desire to be punctuted by a needle at this point, so we explained we would take the AFP test and base our decision on that if we wanted the amnio. After all, there is a very low risk at this point of any birth defects.

He grunted and said, come back in 6 weeks.

And that was it. Well, I guess I forgot the best part ... we found out we were having another boy!

Life rocks.
Steph

© Copyright 2006 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419272-The-big-Day---Genetic-Counseling--Ultrasound