*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/421823
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#421823 added April 26, 2006 at 9:35am
Restrictions: None
Baby Blue
Prompt: Write about two people who debate whether or not to have children together.
Entry 04/25/06

___________


“Take out again?” Tom muttered, staring morosely at the bag of Chinese food his gorgeous wife of two years, placed on the table. Still dressed in a power suit, she chattered away about business deals and projects, while placing an absentminded kiss on her husband’s cheek and setting out plates for their meal.

Tom, who was just returning from a long day at the office as well, poked his food listlessly. He knew what he had to say would be an issue but they had to talk about it sooner or later…if she’d get off the phone for a minute.

Eventually she did and Tom wasted no time letting his voice heard. “I want to have a baby, Emma.”

The effect was immediate. Emma dropped her chopsticks. “We’ve been over this already, Tom,” she said in a slightly impatient tone. “We’re both career people and there’s simply no way we can have children now. Maybe in a year.”

“You said that last year.”

“So…things came up.” She shrugged.

Tom was adamant. “I’m serious this time. I want us to give it a shot. I know you’re still worried about that diagnosis…”

“I’m not sick,” she replied coldly, although her hand trembled a little. “That doctor was a fake, he was…”

She gave up the fight and burst into tears, allowing herself to be drawn into his arms. Gently, he wiped her cheeks and kissed her softly.

“I know it’s going to be hard, but it’s a sacrifice we’ll both have to make. Let’s give this a try, okay, sweetheart?”

She pulled away from him slowly, taking a deep breath before picking up her chopsticks again. “Let’s at least finish dinner,” she finally said with a small smile. “I’ve been thinking of painting that small room upstairs in baby blue anyway…”


Word Count: 300


** Image ID #1095246 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/421823