*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424130-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-12
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#424130 added May 7, 2006 at 3:19pm
Restrictions: None
Uncle Hayes at the Campbell Mansion, Part 12
“After I got home from town I went straight to bed. The next morning I got up early and headed over to the house to get started. It took me almost three hours just to get that carpet off the steps, they sure had put it down good. It was worn in the middle but still wouldn’t come up without a fight.

“After that was out of my way, I started sanding. I stopped long enough to have lunch and went back to it. It took me ‘til five-thirty to get all those stairs sanded and cleaned and after that I started varnishing. I turned on the fan in the attic and applied a first coat to the attic stairs, then worked my way down the hall and down the main stairs. That took me until nine that night.

“When I got back over to my place, I read the paper, ate dinner, and went to bed. I was going fishing as early as I could.

“I got up before daybreak, grabbed a bite to eat, and loaded my fishing gear in the truck. Then I got to thinking about it and decided to put another coat of varnish down. I left the house about nine-thirty, so that wasn’t so bad. I figured by the time I stopped to get some ice, bait, and drinks, I’d get to the lake around ten or ten-thirty.

“I found a nice shady spot. I could see a few out in boats but where I was, I had it all to myself. I caught quite a few fish but only three were keepers or eating size. I started packing up around five to head back.

“Once I reached the house I cleaned my catch and got it ready to fry. Then I figured before I got myself cleaned up, I might as well see if I could put another coat of varnish down.

“The varnish was dry enough to put another coat on, so I started again up in the attic and worked my way down. It was dark by the time I reached the bottom step. I plugged in bulbs in all the wall sockets to help dry the floor and stairs, then went over to my place and took a nice long bath.

“After I was all clean it was time to fry the fish. There ain’t nothin’ more tastier than fresh rainbow trout in bacon grease. I coated the fillets with butter then rolled them in a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper, threw some onions into the pan to fry with the fish and fixed myself a baked potato with sour cream. I’d even picked me up some ice cream on the way back earlier. When I finally sat down for my feast, I got to thinking to myself, I wonder when if ever was the last time this place had a fish smell in it.

“After I was done, I cleaned up and put the leftover fish in the refrigerator and got the ice cream out of the freezer. I fixed me a bowl of that and went over to sit by the windows and read the newspaper while I ate my dessert. There was a nice cool breeze blowing in. What a nice day it was, I thought. Still got some work done but I feel totally relaxed.

“I was reading the newspaper when something caught my eye over at the house. I set my paper down with my bowl and watched. There it was again, a shadow passed the window. That dang haint’s back. Now what? I was sure I locked all the doors and I’d left all those lights on to help dry the floors and steps. Oh great, now she can’t get out again. No, wait a minute, I left the bathroom doors open and I didn’t leave the lights on in there, so she can use that darkness to do her little disappearing act.

“I considered going over there, but I would hate to have to step on the wet varnish. Wet varnish. You don’t suppose a haint leaves footprints? Dang, that means I might have to sand or rub like hell with steel wool to get them smooth again. What in tarnation is she looking for now? She just comin’ back to see what I’ve done? It’s been over a month and a half since I thought I had gotten rid of her. Now what’s she want?

“Dangit, I was so mad I could’ve spit fire, messing up an almost perfect day. Now here I go again, dang blasted haint.

...To be continued...

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424130-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-12