*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424591-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-13
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#424591 added May 8, 2006 at 10:25pm
Restrictions: None
Uncle Hayes at the Campbell Mansion, Part 13
“I decided not to go over to the house, but I sat back in my chair and fumed for a while.

Great, just great. All I need is her back again. I wonder if it’s just me. Maybe it is. Maybe I’m just too relaxed tonight and my mind is playing tricks. I know I saw her before. Maybe I’m just wanting her to come back, wanting somebody to keep me company. That’s it, I’ve just been missing having folks around. Then again, why would I want some haint for company?

Nope, it ain’t that, because there goes the shadow again.

She’s back, that’s all there is to it. It just means I’m stuck with this dang haint and I have to work harder to try and get the rest of the house done inside so I can just let her have it. That’s it, as I get things done, I’ll let her do the inspection. I’ll only leave lights on where I’m working so she can look it over. Maybe that’s what it’s all about, she just wants to see what I’m doing here to her house.

As long as she doesn’t do anything to my or my work, like messing up my varnishing or painting or whatever. That’s fine with me.

I’ll just work and let her do whatever at night. I’m not going to let it bother me anymore.
In fact, I’m buying me some dark curtains tomorrow first thing, that way I won’t have to be staying up and all. Like right now it’s ten-thirty, I haven’t seen any shadows pass in a while. She’s probably gone so I should go to bed.

I thought this job was too good to be true. There’s always something. I just wonder if the Campbells know anything about her or if she’s somehow related to them. I’m just wondering, I’m surely not going to say anything. They might not know anything about her and I wouldn’t want them thinking I’m some kind of a nut.

Enough of that thinking, I just need to get to bed.


“I picked up my newspaper and my bowl and did just that.

“The next morning I went over to the house and checked my varnish job. No footprints, no sign of anyone being there. That’s fine.

“I put another coat of varnish down then went to town to buy me those curtains, bringing the window measurements with me. While I was in town, I went ahead and had lunch at the five-and-dime where I bought the curtains.

“I figured by the time I got the curtains hung up, the floor and steps should be dry enough. Anyway, I didn’t need to be going back upstairs, most of the work that was left was on the first floor.”

...To be continued...

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424591-Uncle-Hayes-at-the-Campbell-Mansion-Part-13