*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424980-Market-day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Animal · #1067322
Some thoughts on living and working in France and conversations with my sheep!
#424980 added May 10, 2006 at 1:00pm
Restrictions: None
Market day.
Yesterday was Market day in our nearest town,about 15 kms from here. We try to go each week as it gets us out to meet people and we like buying local produce whenever we can. French markets are always worth a visit wherever you are in the country as each one will have its own unique flavour of the region. Our local market is spread throughout the centre of the town with two main areas of stalls. The first and largest part is in the front of the Town hall[a fine XV1th century chateau]the stalls here are mainly clothing,footwear,handicrafts,leathergoods and a few miscellaneous goods. The second area includes the Market hall which is also a fine building, the stalls here are devoted to food. Fresh fruit and vegetables complete with dirt! Locally produced cheeses[mainly Goat's],butchers vans with their home reared meats and charcuterie,Oysters fresh from the coast and of course the rotisserie with the devine smell of spit roasting chickens assailing the nostrils. It's such a civilised way to do the shopping, the stall holders always have time to pass the time of day with their customers, you know that you are helping the local economy and will quite often meet up with friends for a coffee or a glass of wine in one of the bars/cafes. It is also an excellent way to pick up ideas for writing. Sitting at a pavement cafe watching the world go by is a very pleasant way to spend time. It is interesting to see the groups of men[ retired farmers] who can out talk any women I know, I suppose for most of them who come from isolated farms this is their main opportunity to catch up on the news/gossip. You see very few young people,other than tourists, presumably because they are at work. We feel lucky that we now have a bit more time to enjoy the pleasures of the weekly market.

© Copyright 2006 esperaza (UN: sheepish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
esperaza has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/424980-Market-day