*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428838-
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1111428
Jamie, the new Superboy, helps residents of a community that is stricken by a hurricane.
#428838 added May 27, 2006 at 3:37pm
Restrictions: None
H U R R I C A N E G R E G O R Y– Part 2
Several squirrels dashed up the thick oak tree when they heard the two humans walking over the branches and the leaves, which were scattered all over the ground. When the squirrels looked down from the branch, they saw two teenage boys wandering through the woods on their own. Both boys were wearing t-shirts and shorts, and they both wore hiking boots. Both had backpacks slung over their shoulders. They were headed back to the camp site.

“Gregory, I think we made a wrong turn. The campsite is that way!” one of the boys said, as he pointed west. The first boy was short and stocky. Only eleven years old, he was far stronger than any human being on earth. He didn’t need a compass or a map. His extraordinary senses allowed him to locate just about any person, any place, or any thing on earth. The boy had the physique the caliber of a young gymnast, who could easily have wowed the crowd at the Summer Olympics. His parents had not allowed him to participate in any team sports at school, because of his phenomenal powers. For the boy, given his super human abilities, it was just too dangerous. He could not be hurt, but he could easily have injured one of the other kids. Moreover, given his incredible speed, strength and agility, there was no way, all the other boys on Earth combined, could have given him a fair match-up. And he had to protect his secret. This week long trip to camp was a golden opportunity for the young super hero to spend time with several other kids of his own age.

“I realize that, Jamie!” the other boy replied annoyed. “I just wanted to follow the creek! Look!” Gregory pointed at the small, narrow stream of water.

“Greg, we’re several miles away from the cabin. I heard them ring the dinner bell already! We’re going to be late for supper! Let’s go back!” Jamie pleaded with his best friend. “We’re late for dinner!”

“Alright then… Let’s go on back, Gregory mumbled. “I just wanted to see where the creek would take us…”

“Yeah, but if we don’t show up at the dinner table soon, then others are going to be concerned, and people are going to start looking for us! They’re going to think we’re lost!” Jamie responded.

“We can’t get lost, Jamie!” Greg reminded him. “You’re Superboy! You’ve got super powers! You can fly us out of here and you can get us back at the cabin in nothing flat!”

“Of course, Greggy!” Jamie replied. “But, I can’t afford to do any super stuff here! And if we don’t start hiking back to the cabin now, then we’ll get there much too late for dinner!”

“Alright… “Gregory replied. He had hoped that Jamie would fly him back. He was getting tired, and he wasn’t much in the mood to hike back to the cabin. He was thinking of something to say to Jamie to convince him to fly him to the campgrounds anyway, when he stopped and noticed a squirrel hopping right before him.

“Jamie!” he whispered to his buddy. “Shhh!”

Gregory quietly walked up to the squirrel. He was about to reach down so that he could pet the small, furry animal, when the squirrel suddenly hopped away from him!

“Aww…. Oh well…” Greg sighed, as he slowly turned around to face Jamie. “I wonder why the squirrel suddenly ran away from me.”

Suddenly, Greg saw a tall, dark figure standing right behind him!

“Aaaaah!” Greg shouted, startled at Wes’ sudden appearance.

“Wesley!” Jamie shouted!

“Wesley?” Greg exclaimed, as he took a step back from the tall, dark teenager.

“Wesley! What are you doing here?” Jamie asked him.

“I was wondering the same thing…” Wes replied, in a very serious tone of voice. “What are the two of you doing out here at this hour?”

“We were walking the creek and we had decided to follow it so…” Greg began to say in reply.

“You’re three miles away from the cabin!” Wes shouted angrily. “The dinner bell rang almost thirty minutes ago! Pretty soon, some of the counselors are going to start to wonder where you guys are, and they will have to organize a search party to come and find you!”

“We were about to walk back to the cabin! We weren’t planning on staying…” Jamie explained.

“You’re LATE! You strayed away from the path the counselors told you to follow. You guys never made it back to the cabin, when you were told to be back. And, lastly, it seems to me like you two are LOST! Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway?” Wesley challenged angrily.

Jamie suddenly bowed his head guiltily. He could not meet his brother’s eyes.

“It was my fault… I told Gregory to…” Jamie began to say contritely.

“Don’t lie to me, Jamie!” Wes shot back. “I know you well enough to see when you’re covering for Greg! I’m psychic, remember?”

“We were on our way back to the cabin…” Greg replied.

“…Thirty minutes late? Come on!” Wes sneered back at him. “What do you think I am? Do you believe I’m that stupid?”

For the moment, the three boys just stared at each other in silence. Jamie would’ve covered for Greg if he could have. He was loyal to a fault but he also knew there was no fooling his brother, even without psychic powers. Wes knows him and Greg both inside and out.

Wesley glared at the two boys angrily. “You ought to be ashamed of yourselves…” he hissed. Then he ordered, “Jamie, fly Greggy back to camp. Do it now! Watch your landing zone to make sure you’re not seen. If you hurry, might get back in time to get some of the leftovers from supper.

“Oh… Okay… Come… Come on, Greggy…” Jamie said quietly.

Jamie reached out to gently take hold of Greg’s arm. He was about to lift off the ground, when Wesley suddenly approached Gregory and placed his hand on Greg’s right shoulder. This sudden move surprised both Jamie and Gregory.

“You and me… We’re going to have a man-to-man talk… as soon as we get back home…” Wesley said to Greg, in a chilling voice.

Greg gulped at the words. He had never seen Wesley this angry before. And Greg was well aware of the fact, that Wesley meant business.

Wes backed off, while staring at both boys.

Jamie couldn’t bear to see Wes like this. He was sad, hurt, and he felt deeply ashamed. Somehow, in the back of his mind, he knew that he would face the music as soon as he’d get back home, after the camp was over. He just bowed his head and stared at the ground, while feeling for too ashamed to look Wesley in the eyes.

Wesley turned around and then disappeared into thin air.

For the moment, both boys let out a sigh if relief. Then, they turned to face each other. Without saying a word, Jamie reached out once more, and gently took hold of Greg’s arm.

“We… We’d better get going…” Jamie said, while showing a tentative smile. “I guess we’re late enough already and I don’t feel like getting into any more trouble than I already am right now…”

“I’m sorry for getting you in trouble again…” Greg murmured back to his best friend. “I guess your brother has every reason to hate me right now…”

“He doesn’t hate you…” Jamie responded. “Trust me. He doesn’t hate you…”

The two boys slowly began to hover above the ground. Within seconds, the two boys were soaring over the woods, looking down as they continued to ascend higher and higher into the sky.

“There’s the cafeteria!” Greg pointed out. Jamie nodded, as he steered the two boys toward their destination. This was no time for aerial sightseeing. They were already thirty minutes late.


To be continued


My website contains my works of science fiction and fantasy.

Check out my website at http://www.superfantasystories.com
© Copyright 2006 scriptboy (UN: scriptboy64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428838-