*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428842-
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1111428
Jamie, the new Superboy, helps residents of a community that is stricken by a hurricane.
#428842 added May 27, 2006 at 3:40pm
Restrictions: None
H U R R I C A N E G R E G O R Y– Part 5
He bobbed to the surface. There was just enough slack in the underwater vine that he was just able to break the surface with his head. He tried to kick himself loose but couldn’t manage to free himself. His concern quickly gave way to panic.

“Aaah! Jamie! JAMIE!!” he shouted. “Something grabbed hold of my leg! Help! HELP!!”

Jamie tossed the book aside and leaped into the air. Within seconds, he was hovering right above Greg. He reached under Greggy’s armpits and lifted him up out of the water. As his feet cleared the surface he could see the vines that had entangled his legs and feet.

“Boy; am I glad to see you!” Greg sighed, as Jamie held him up, while floating in mid air.

“Yeah, Jamie agreed. I’m glad I was here. I can see under the water with my x-ray vision. There a huge patch of that stuff. If I hadn’t been here, you could’ve drowned.” As Jamie held onto Greg, he focused his laser vision on the water and hit the patch of under with an incinerating blast. “There,” Jamie said “That patch of vines won’t ever do that to anybody else!”

Greg explained, “I shouldn’t have panicked. If I’d kept my head, I probably could’ve worked myself free of that stuff.”

Jamie answered, “Well, the important thing right now is that you’re safe. Are you okay, Greggy?”

“Yeah… I’m alright… Thanks for pulling me out of there, dude…”

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Jamie wondered out loud. “You’re shivering!”

“I’m cold… And I guess I’m still a little spooked.” Greg replied.

“Oh…”

Jamie was still feeling a bit worried about his best friend.

“Uhh… Jamie? Could you please do me a favor?”

“Sure?”

“Could you please set me down? I’m getting cold, just floating above the water like this…” Greg pointed out to the super kid.

“Oh… Sorry, Greggy! I just wanted to make sure you’re okay…” Jamie answered, as he slowly floated towards the tent. When he was right over the opening, he set Greg back down on his two feet, before touching down himself.

“I guess we should make something to eat, before we go to bed, huh?” Greg suggested to Jamie.

“Yeah! Do we need to make a fire?”

“Of course” Greg added. “That way, we can heat up a few marshmallows!”

“I’ll gather some wood!” Jamie cheered, as he walked out. In an instant, he raced across the shore of the lake at super speed, collecting branches along the way. Within seconds, he was standing before Greg, holding a stack of dried out branches in his arms.

“Awesome! Set them, down over here, dude!” Greg laughed. Greg had become so used to Jamie by now, that he was completely unfazed by the boy’s super powers.

Jamie gently took one of the dry branches and focused his eyes as two pencil beams of light fired from his pupils, striking the tip of the branch, igniting it.

“No, no, no! Not that way!” Greg protested.

Jamie stared at his buddy in confusion.

Greg grabbed two branches and started rubbing one against the other, while Jamie looked on. Jamie quickly turned towards the burning branch that he held in his hand, and blew out the flame with his breath. Then he tossed the branch back in the pile, before he walked up to Greg.

“Okay, I got it. Give me those. Let me do it!” Jamie insisted.

Greg handed his super buddy the two branches. Jamie then rubbed the two branches together at super speed, setting both on fire!

“There ya go!” Jamie chuckled, as he handed one of them to Greg.

“Do you have to use your powers to do everything?” Greg sighed, as he rolled his eyes.

“What? One day, you’ll have super powers of your own, and then you’ll use them as much as I do now!” Jamie concluded.

“Alright… Let’s heat up some marshmallows, before it gets too late!”

The boys lit the fire using the two burning branches. They then sat down next to each other, with marshmallows skewered onto the ends of the branches.

“It’s funny, the way you brought up the thing about you having super powers” Greg pondered. “Do you remember the first day, when you first told me about your super powers?”

“Yes! I sure do!” Jamie answered in response. “I remember it like yesterday…”

Jamie started to think back to the first day of school, when he met Gregory for the first time.

* * *

“I remember when I first met you two years ago, when we were together in the sixth grade. School had just started, and I was very nervous about going to the new middle school for the first time. When I met you on that first day of class, I knew right away that I wanted to be your friend, because you were so funny!”

“You came to school wearing a Hawaiian t-shirt. You had a big smile on your face, and you were always saying something to make me laugh. I remember feeling so nervous that day, but that changed when you started telling your silly jokes in class! I knew right away that I wanted to be your friend.”

“And I remember that there were those kids who were bigger, older and taller than me. I’ve always been one of the shortest kids in school, and I was an easy target that day.”

“Mom and Dad had just adopted Wes and me, new to Metropolis, and I was new at school and I didn’t have any friends at all besides Wes. I was horribly shy, and my brother, Wesley, was constantly reminding me to be extra careful about everything I said and did. I had a really hard time, especially in P.E. class, because I knew that I was faster and stronger than all the other kids, but I didn’t dare let anyone know.”

“I remember the day when we were playing basketball, and one of the bigger kids, Keith, practically ripped the basketball out of your hands so he could make a shot, before shoving you hard enough, that you actually fell on the floor. I didn’t like that, and I walked up to you reached out my hand to help you up. For some reason, Keith didn’t approve. He started yelling at me. He grabbed me in a choke hold.”

To be continued



My website contains my works of science fiction and fantasy.

Check out my website at http://www.superfantasystories.com
© Copyright 2006 scriptboy (UN: scriptboy64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428842-