*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430153-Our-Best-Friends-Wedding
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#430153 added June 1, 2006 at 4:48pm
Restrictions: None
Our Best Friend's Wedding
Prompt: I'd be surprised if their marriage lasts a year
*Gift1*Winning Entry for 03/22/06*Gift2*

___________________

Our Best Friend's Wedding


Matilda and Millie were the best of friends. There was a third but beneath the blue canopies of Blue Moon Café, the two women were alone and content to be that way. For you see, the subject of their conversation was none other than Mary Ellis – their other best friend – who was tying the knot with a man she loved.

“I’d be surprised if their marriage lasts a year,” Matilda remarked delicately. She polished off another doughnut and gave a warm smile, wiggling ringless fingers before Millie’s gaze. This was her third divorce in three years, so one could label her the expert in such matters.

“Oh you are way too generous,” Millie replied, polishing two breadsticks and buttering some toast. “I’d give them six months and then it’s over.”

“Indeed,” Matilda muttered, sucking some cherries and eyeing a cookie. “She’s always picky and never likes to compromise.”

“And as we both know, marriage is all about compromise,” Millie said solemnly. The cheesecake looked tempting and she helped herself to some. “Why my fifth husband never agreed to anything I said and so I dumped him faster than you can say buttermilk.”

“Speaking of buttermilk,” Matilda observed while chewing on a biscuit. “He’s much too fat and sweats a lot…”

“…talks about business all day and travels quite often…”

“…she’s never going to be faithful to him since she can be quite a slut…”

“…and he’s no saint either, always running around with secretaries…”

“…perhaps we should warn her ahead of time?”

They stopped chewing and looked at each other. The smell of freshly baked bread filled their nostrils.

“I’ll go shopping for her wedding present tomorrow,” Matilda finally remarked as she placed her order.

“So will I,” Millie replied with a smile. “She’ll definitely look lovely in white.”



Word Count: 300

© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430153-Our-Best-Friends-Wedding