*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430154
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #1097066
For all the rest of my Flash Fiction Entries
#430154 added June 1, 2006 at 4:50pm
Restrictions: None
The Visitor
Prompt: Write how your character is affected by a severe thunderstorm.
*Gift1*Winning Entry for 04/03/06*Gift1*

__________________


Long lashes flew open at the dull rumble of thunder in the distance. Outside the window, lightening flashed, bringing into sharp relief the various cluttered items within the small room. She shivered, knowing that Jared would take care of things in case of a power outage.

“Bound to happen anyway,” she muttered softly, eyelids becoming heavy again as sleep took precedence. It had been a long day at the farm, out here in the middle of nowhere, and it was unlikely that anything out of the ordinary would…

“Eeek!”

She sat up quickly, her frantic gaze darting around the room furtively. She wasn’t quite sure of what had woken her or why there were beads of sweat upon her brow. Heavy rain drummed upon the thin roof like a deranged drummer, matching the thudding pace of her heartbeat.

“Jared?” she whispered thickly as she climbed out of bed slowly. She didn’t bother to wear a robe despite the chill that sent her flesh into tiny goose bumps.

“Jared?” she tried again, peering out into the empty and darkened hallway, now wishing she had brought a flashlight along with her.

The door to his bedroom was ajar and it made her even more afraid. Jared was always careful and didn’t like to sleep with the door open. With trembling fingers, she pushed it open wider and it took but a moment for her eyes to adjust to the scene before her.

The blood. It was everywhere.

Her chest was becoming tight with the effort it was taking to let out the imminent scream. She held out her hands to ward him away, but their unwelcome visitor was already approaching with a feral grin. Her final scream was lost with the descent of the axe and the staccato sound of the deadly thunderstorm.



Word Count: 300

© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (UN: satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430154