*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430785-Girl-6
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #988356
2 Aries butting heads...some much needed perspective
#430785 added June 4, 2006 at 5:20am
Restrictions: None
Girl 6
Has anyone ever seen Girl 6 by Spike Lee? Its with Theresa Rhandle (who has fallen off the radar) and she plays a struggling actress who decides to work as a phone sex operator to pay the bills as she struggles with auditions.

I like the movie and the world of a phone sex operator is crazy. I thought it was courageous in a way to do that type of work because its way too embarassing, graphic, sexual, shameful (at least for me!). Plus I like Theresa Rhandle.

So anyway I mention Girl 6 not because I work as a phone sex operator (the thought of that is pretty funny because I would suck -no pun intended- as a phone sex operator) but because I do work part-time (or whenever I feel like it) at home taking calls for infomercials. *Smile*

Yes! people take calls for this stuff at home. I personally had no idea. I came across this website for working at home to make extra money and it appealed to me. Plus in college I worked calling past graduates asking them for donations for the school so I've had some background on the phone with people. This ISN'T telemarketing so I'm not calling anyone. But I must say that the major downside is the "upsells". This is the part where I have to read all the extra "offers" to the customer. Basically trying to get them to shell out more money for additional stuff or upgrades.

Whenever I call to order something I am never impolite to the representative though I did get irritated when they would offer me something and I would decline but then they would go on offer me three more things when I declined the first offer -now I completely understand. We HAVE to read these offers -and sometimes its like 5 of them- and unless the caller gets irate, only then can we bypass them. Can you imagine that you have to wait UNTIL they get irate, I mean really -and many times your call is monitored (its true what they say about monitoring)so you must read the script word for word and read all the offers.

Its tough. Most of the time callers are pretty patient most likely because they really want what they called in for, but I have had some women who have been close to irate. I get so nervous during these times and try to rush through the script but now I've learned to take my time and breathe and remember that they canNOT see me which makes a difference in my mind because it feels so personal.


Okay, I just got back! The calls coming in were crazy this morning. I signed up to do a shift from 2-5 a.m. (I know crazy) but I'd rather work when I know I won't be out though I do have to get up in a few hours for church. My line was busy. The most popular products are the CDs -all those soul ballads and 70s CDs you see advertised are what people call in the most for.

I was just talking about Girl 6 and suddenly the last half-hour of my shift I get a bunch of calls for Wild Girls on DVD -the script for this is so embarrasing. I had to offer the men Enhancers! I had to work hard to read the offer professionally without laughing -none of the men opted for the product -big surprise *Blush* I am so glad my shift is over though I do get a rush from doing this.

My internal dialogue is my biggest challenge and I have to constantly remind myself that these people have no idea who I am and they can only hear my voice, but my very first time I was SO nervous. Reading the upsells is still the worse, but ultimately most people are patient. Thank God.

I now know to definitely, always be patient and polite to all phone customer service representatives. Now whenever I call in somewhere I picture the people answering the phone at home lounging in their chairs in their jammies - like me *Bigsmile*

I had more to say but I'm whipped...need sleep...

oh, I hate going to bed when its light out...I like utter darkness, I need to invest in some drapes

© Copyright 2006 posturechick (UN: folade at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
posturechick has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/430785-Girl-6