*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/432179
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1062373
NO more humor... just more tragic, sad, sick, twisted goings ons - Sorry
#432179 added June 9, 2006 at 9:32am
Restrictions: None
Poetry Submissions - Please!!!
I read Slate - the site has a lot of what I consider to be really good political opinion pieces (and it's not just cause I agree with them either - cause sometimes I don't), and other stuff.

So today while browsing Slate, I saw a Poetry section. Low & Behold - poetry read by its authors! I like that. I think poems should be read by its authors.

But sadly the poems on Slate leave me wanting - OH PLEASE on WDC there is some so much better poetry - much better!!! (Er, I call myself The Critic for a reason - Duh!)

Anyway - Poets Go HERE:

http://www.slate.com/id/2137014/sidebar/2133765/

It says:

"Slate considers new poems from Sept. 1 to May 31. Unsolicited poetry submissions may be sent by mail to: Robert Pinsky, Slate, c/o Boston University, 236 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215. Send up to three poems of no more than 50 lines each, folded into a regular #10 envelope. You should include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submission. If you wish to have your work returned to you, attach sufficient postage for both our correspondence and your poems. Please do not send us the only copy of your manuscript. Submissions that do not include a self-addressed, stamped envelope will be recycled.

Yes, I know I missed this year's deadline - but there is always next year. So start stuffing your #10 envelops now.

In my opinion they need help & POETS!!!

Oh, you want me to provide proof they need help. Okay, go HERE:
http://www.slate.com/id/2138968/?nav=navoa

Also, at the bottom of the above page there is a little box which contains a list of their weakly poems (intentional and purposeful misspelling - just so you know)

So please... plan to send in your poems.

I will admit the titles to the poems published and read on Slate are wonderful. I like the titles - but oh my God - how horrid some of these poems are.

Now here is an opportunity for you poets to teach me - in order for me to learn. If the current poems on Slate have merit - please explain to me the what & how of it, because I don't see or hear it. Really!!!

The current poem's seem obscure, meaningless, and somehow leave a nasty, bitter taste in my mind and ears. Harsh, confusing, and contradicting - Who are these poets?

It's not the sound of their voices that irratate me so... it's their words... the order of their words... These poems just suck. I am so disappointed. Who at Slate decides what poems get published and read? I don't know if it's the guy who the poem submissions get sent or What! But somehow I feel that whoever is making Slate's poetic decisions is more impressed with the status of a poet than the poetry itself. Hate that!!!

I think the Slate guys need to be taught a lesson - a lesson in Poetry.

Help me! Help yourself. Plan to send your poems to Slate. If your poem gets published, and it sucks - you can rest assured I'll let you know.

In the meantime, select the poems you'll be submitting. No, you don't get paid, but you will garner National recognition for your efforts - if your poem is selected.

Look, read the current poems. Compare it to what you have. And if you think I'm wrong - don't hesitate to tell me.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

© Copyright 2006 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/432179