*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435150-mama-you-pretty
Rated: 18+ · Book · Parenting · #953544
The adventures of my nine year old son Jonah, who has autism.
#435150 added June 21, 2006 at 11:35am
Restrictions: None
mama, you pretty
This living stuff can get pretty strange. I went to lunch with friend Kristin on Monday, and we were talking about how neither of us has been feeling particularly good about herself lately. I said, "You know I never was a pretty girl, but lately I just feel like I'm getting uglier and uglier as I get older."

The next day, yesterday, Jonah got off the bus and wanted to just hang out on the front porch, so I let him. I sat next to him and he put his face into mine with a big smile, rubbing his little nose into mine and giving me sweet kisses. He is always lovey but he was being particularly affectionate. So I said "do you love mama?" and I swear my child looked at me and said "mommm--mommmmm, yuh pitty." This is a kid who can't even say mama with any regularity, let alone attempt a sentence -- and --oh my God-- did he just tell me I am pretty???!!!

I ran inside the house and grabbed the phone and called my mother. Jonah said "mommm-mommmm" again for her on the phone, and we were both practically in tears. Of course he wouldn't say "pitty" again, but I don't care. He said it and it was awesome and he seems so much more mature lately, so happy and playful and loving. This morning was student recognition day at his school, and they brought each student up to the front and gave him or her individual accolades and a little certificate. My mom came with me and Jonah was very cute. He got recognition for his exuberant spirit and progress with PECS.

Last week they took the kids to a camp and at one point they let them dangle their feet in the pond there....and Jonah jumped right in, right up to his waist, and cheered and clapped. That's my boy. Unafraid and adventurous. Sweet and smart.

And just when I most needed to feel pretty, he told me I was!





"Whenever I'm caught between two evils, I take the one I've never tried."
         ~ Mae West (1892 - 1980)

** Image ID #750081 Unavailable ** 218143218143
** Image ID #868365 Unavailable **














© Copyright 2006 winklett in the woods (UN: winklett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
winklett in the woods has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435150-mama-you-pretty