*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435434-A-Day-at-the-Races
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#435434 added May 7, 2015 at 6:43am
Restrictions: None
A Day at the Races
Sometimes we do something or go somewhere just to say we've done it, not because we're passionate about it. Whether that's right or wrong is open to debate but I have no wish to start one.

Visiting Royal Ascot is something I can now say I've done, but with hand on heart I can't say it was one of the most wonderful outings of my life or that I'll want to do it again.

The journey took almost four hours which is far too long for a fidget bottom like moi. Much as I enjoy the luxury of riding in a stretched limo, there are only so many word games you can play and wine before noon has to be limited with a long day ahead.

The weather was not kind. It could have been worse had it rained, but a really strong wind made it a very chilly day and difficult to hang onto your hat, as well as paper plates, plastic beakers etc.

There were very limited seating areas and huge throngs of people, resulting in many pairs of aching feet. At one stage one of my friends and I lost sight of our group and trying to spot them in a sea of fancy hats took over an hour.

I'm not by nature a gambler and don't get a buzz out of seeing horses racing to the finishing line. However, I did join in the spirit and place a few small bets, but all my horses seemed to be the unambitious sort. I swear some of them could have been involved in photo finishes apart from the fact it was probably dark by the time they crossed the line.

Much as I detest the yob element of England's football fans who cause havoc and bring shame upon our nation, I equally dislike the rich and arrogant who stroll around places like Ascot in clothing that would cost the ordinary person a years' wages and think nothing of placing bets in the hundreds of pounds region. There is still a great deal of snobbery in England which is so evident at such places. Pomp and ceremony may bring in the tourists but it's not for me I'm afraid.

Of course I didn't grump, *Wink* we DID have some laughs and made the best of the day, but I was glad to return to my humble home, very tired and cold and none the wiser for the experience. I leave you with some photographs of our trip to Ascot.

} } }

© Copyright 2015 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435434-A-Day-at-the-Races