*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/436377-I-Cant-Get-Away-From-Teaching
by Ken
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1089551
This is the journal of my experiences and thoughts.
#436377 added June 26, 2006 at 12:18pm
Restrictions: None
I Can't Get Away From Teaching
In passing, on the rig, I mentioned to one of my coworkers that I play guitar a little, for fun. Despite my protests that I'm not very good, he talked me in to teaching him what I know. I brought my guitar lst hitch to start teaching him open chords so he could begin to learn chord progressions.

The first night we drove off the site to get someplace quiet, the whole crew followed us to see what we were doing. When the lesson was over the guys started calling out requests. I played the ones I knew and threw in some that they had never heard (although I was surprised when a COMPLETE country boy recognized "Cumbersome" before I had started singing).
By the time the hitch was over this turned into a nightly thing, With even the top dog on the site coming down for some tunes.

Although I still don't know much, I'm learning as fast as I can. Now I have 3 students on the rig that I have to be prepared for. The other two were just waiting to see if I could teach the first anything. Two of them bought guitars so they could practice on their own until I can pick up lessons again. I get phone calls with guitar questions every day.

This is just weird. I'm serious, I don't know that much on guitar. I picked it up again to give me a hobby when I'm home for two weeks straight. Now I'm teaching a bunch of roughnecks how to play guitar. Strange world.

© Copyright 2006 Ken (UN: redken70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ken has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/436377-I-Cant-Get-Away-From-Teaching