*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/441149-Sliding-out-of-a-peaceful-Sunday
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#441149 added July 17, 2006 at 6:39pm
Restrictions: None
Sliding out of a peaceful Sunday
Guess we've slid into Monday already, WDC time. It was a lovely afternoon, floating in the pool in circles and watching the birds. A pair of sparrows landed picturesquely on the top, arched, exposed branches of the weeping birch. They appeared to be playing "keep away" from their tree. Among the mourning doves, who I've heard mate for life, one appeared overtly promiscuous. The gold finches flew from the thistle seed feeder to the sunflowers in the garden. They seem to like only the ones they planted. The giant Gray Stripe ones, (that evidently applies to the seeds,) aren't nearly as popular.

The lessons in church today were, on the other hand, very un-peaceful. The gospel related the beheading of John the Baptist at the request of Herodius, who danced so charmingly for Herod and his guests that he promised her anything. Her mother had previously been married to Herod's brother and thereby earned John's disapproval. So in revenge she told her daughter to ask for John's head on a platter.

Now that is a grim story. Bloodier than most of our political stories in the news today, but no less political. Herod had liked listening to John, we are told, and was perhaps afraid of his power. But he made promises that others heard, and had to keep them. Sounds like a good plot to me.

Speaking of, has anyone heard of the book, No Plot? No Problem! I'm curious.


© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/441149-Sliding-out-of-a-peaceful-Sunday