*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/441836-As-the-Ice-Cream-Melts
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#441836 added July 20, 2006 at 2:01am
Restrictions: None
As the Ice Cream Melts
I put off going to the grocery store until the hottest last possible minute. I'll be on soft foods for six days after my dental surgery tomorrow afternoon. I'm supposed to be under sedation for l and 1/2 to 2 hours. I plan to spend the rest of the day sleeping, and changing ice packs.

I'm very leary of having things done to my teeth. The first, and only, time I started to run away from home as a kid was when I got the news that the dentist was going to pull four of my permanent teeth. The tooth thing left me emotionally shaken, and I panic over having to go to the dentist at all now. But the appointment is set with the periodontist, so "it" will be done, and I'll be better in a couple of months, or less.

I didn't leave to stock up on soft food groceries until noon today. The temperature was only 97, as it's been 100 degrees by noon the last few days. We're nine days of temps over 100. Really F***ing hot. I had to drive seven miles home from the store, and I just knew all the soft cold food was going to melt--ice cream, sherbert, milk--a new beverage that's of Hispanic origin that's rice and milk, and it comes in a carton is something different I bought to drink. I had lots of interesting flavors to taste, but I won't be able to chew for awhile.

I've been through this kind of recovery before, and I know I'll end up losing more pounds. I'm wearing size 10 clothes now, and buying just a few things at a time. I have three pairs of shorts now, and I'm thrilled to be wearing clothes that fit. You always forget about the bad part of having to replace a wardrobe when you change weight radically. It was that I finally got back to my regular weight because my metabolism kicked in or something. Whatever it was, I like weighing 50 pounds less than I did two years ago.

My mom's suffering from the heat, but she still gets herself out of bed and does errands when she thinks she has to--but she does it before noon. She's been actually in bed, and not feeling so good for awhile now. A lot of her problem is the heat, plus being 84 years old. She's in good enough shape to take me to the perio's office, and see that I don't cause havoc until after the sedation wears off. Maybe we'll have a heart-to-heart. Probably I'll be sleeping.

I may be writing with pen and paper for a few days *Bigsmile*
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/441836-As-the-Ice-Cream-Melts