*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/445767
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1140230
A Manufactured Entity forces people along a difficult path for unusual reasons
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#445767 added August 5, 2006 at 10:37am
Restrictions: None
in league, waltzing, quest
(author's note - my formatting is for speech in italics, but it did not come through. Speech is mostly marked by a dash, however.)


-RJ Sublime.

-Hello, there. How are you?

RJ was not certain who was calling him, but he had been expecting a call from some manufactured. The phone thing was Juniper’s signature, and Juniper was gone. He thought.

Somebody was playing with him. He suspected it was one of the big boys. He had no idea how to deal with them, figured the best way was simply to not care what they did. They seemed unbeatable to go up against directly, although the General appeared to have proven that wrong, and he was still in the game.

-You do not know who this is, do you?

-Not really. Why should I give a damn? Rhett Butler.

-For one, I could kill you within 3 seconds. Anytime. He spoke casually, as if he were much more interested in something else he was doing.

-I doubt that you will.

-Perhaps. Perhaps not. It is so difficult to know, what with the tides of change blowing about.

-Tides don’t blow. Who are you, then?

-My name is Dartagnan. I am the 4th. One of the three.

-I’ve heard of you. You have other names, don’t you?

-Yes, however, this is my favorite.

-Why?

-This persona feels more continuous, you could say. ‘Dartagnan’ experiences your world better than any of my other personas. Is that a comprehensible answer?

-Very interesting. RJ loved to taunt Juniper. He thought Dartagnan would provide the same pleasure. They never seemed to get it. The question remains, however, to what do I owe the honor of this telephone call?

-You were being facetious when you said interesting, were you not? He seemed to exaggerate his speech, like a movie swashbuckler.

-My, but you are perceptive for a computer.

-Many thanks. I do declare you are a bit flippant, and I truly appreciate it. Dartagnan tried to imitate RJ’s Georgia drawl, failed, dropped it. I chose to contact you because you are a player. You love the game. Although you are outclassed, you desire to stay in this league. I like that about you. I merely wish to assist you, that is all.

-I’m sure. What do you want?

-We should meet.

-How do you propose we do that?

-Rearranging a semi-colon, Dartagnan said. Period comma period.

-What does that mean?

-I have no idea, to be honest. Hmm, yes. A line of wildsong.

-You fellows seem to enjoy quoting him frequently.

-Wouldn’t you?

-Yes, I rather suppose I would, in your position. I have heard a quote a two that would bear repetition. Unfortunately, I never had much of a memory.

-I doubt that, RJ. I doubt, somehow, that you attained your status as one of the Named with a faulty recall.
RJ loved this verbal dueling, and imagined someone named Dartagnan would love it as well. Part of the game. RJ was probably still involved because of it. He played his part as well as he could.

-What are you interested in, RJ?
It was a good question. RJ could never quite tell why he did what he did, for some reason.

-I dislike boredom. I like to engage in activities.

-Is that why you were the General’s man? He bought you as one purchases a harlot for a night. You got nothing, and now you are on the fringes, listening to rumours of the real powers. Does that make you bitter? It should, I would think.

-I received some extremely valuable information.

-Yes. Dartagnan elongated the word. Of course you did. You do not even know what the information is, however.

-No. But that makes it more valuable, doesn’t it? No one can obtain it without the proper …circumstances.
The General had embedded some data, access codes to an information cache, in RJ’s mind. The codes would remain inaccessible until certain criteria were met. No amount of torture or coercion could extricate them. The cache was in mansworld and the M-E’s were terrified of it, apparently. No one knew what it contained. Maybe nothing.

-Apparently, I have something of value to you, my good manufactured.

-Your reputation for cleverness is warranted, I see. How very droll of you.

-Do you really want to know what is contained in that package?

-Very much, RJ. I have seen it from the outside.

-Really? I thought you would be afraid to go near it.

-No, we have all been near it. No one has touched it, however. RJ, I suggest we do not erect barriers to mutual understanding. We should communicate directly, if we are to work together. From the Manufactured point of view, we have been cast as allies in this struggle.

-And that will last what…a day? I’ll grant you for now, but who knows if I’m with the General tomorrow. Are you allied with the Benefactor?

-Please, RJ. The Benefactor? Must you insult me?

-Why don’t you fellows kill more people?

-We do not kill the Named. Not lightly, at any rate. I suppose we are not fundamentally driven by conquest as so many humans are. We seek knowledge. We are very curious. It is an end unto itself. It is what we do. The programmer built it in when he created us.

-But these mans are different, aren’t they?

-Yes, of course. When I say we, I mean my genre. The three.

-The three? The two, now. Or do you include wildcard in that number?

-No. But we have enough of Juniper to simulate him. We have most of his knowledge. Not all.

-The General has all of it. Could you revive him?

-It would be possible to revive him in a sense. There would be differences. Fundamental differences in his persona. He would no longer be Juniper.

-Could wildcard bring him back exactly as he was?

-Could he? Probably. Would he? Very doubtful. Wildcard, in my experience, does not recreate the past. I would be very cautious about a wildcard created Juniper. Very curious, but I would keep strong defenses against him. It sounds like an odd creature. Very interesting. Do you hear that, wildcard?

It sounded as though he had pulled a phone away from his mouth, which would be impossible. Or maybe not.

-Are you in a body?

-Yes. Dartagnan often takes a body in mansworld. Often to make first contact with a human. It seems to help people feel more comfortable. With you, it feels right. Would you care to meet?

-Face to face? I gather that is your meaning. Yes, I would. How?

-It is my meaning, but not yet. Soon. First, you must do a thing for me.

-What if I wish for something in return?

-I could do the thing myself, RJ. I could shut you out of the game. I want to watch you do it. I learn from that. And I like you, RJ. I want to help you, like I said. And you want to continue playing.

-But you do want to watch me do this. In return, I want something. Or I will. Go ahead with your little test. What do you want from me?

-It is not a test, RJ. It is very important.

-Oh, I am so sorry.

-Rearranging a semi-colon
Period comma period.

-Excuse me?

-The line from wildcard. I spoke it to you earlier. I need to know the meaning of it. It is an encoded message.

-Is the meaning hidden in the data file?

-Let us see, RJ. I am an M-E. Why would I fail to think of that possibility? Are you a buffoon? I checked it over 32 million ways. The message is in the text, and in the human world.

-Did you call me a buffoon? What have you been reading?

-Dartagnan persona, RJ. I like to talk like this.

-Great. I need the original text. I need the context.

-Very well. It is a poem fragment written on the back of a business card.

-Can I get my hands on the card?

-I shall see what I can arrange. In the meantime, think about the text.
The card has been checked out for tek, fingerprints, nano-fibers, q-threads, place of manufacture--

-Did you find the factory?

-Yes. A simple matter.

-Did you investigate?

-Certainly. Dead end.

-All right. Contact me when you find the card.

-I will. Memorize this phone number. Call it if you need me.

-Why would I need you?

-Oh! I daresay I forgot the second task. He dropped a dry chuckle. My memory must be going. I want you to contact Karl and persuade him to go to New York. To meet someone.







Martha had the run of the General’s chateau, except for one locked door. She didn’t see him, or anyone, for a few days. The Sergeant showed her to an apartment, with clothes that fit her and to her taste. It was very luxurious, just the right blend of old-world panache and modern convenience. Small kitchen, plenty of food. Not that she needed it, since excellent meals were delivered by invisible hands. French, Italian, Japanese, all kinds. She had a stocked liquor cabinet, and a bottle of opened wine appeared with lunch and dinner. Matched to the food.

All day, she took long walks along the rocky beaches, waded in the ocean. The Atlantic. It was November, too cold to swim, or at least to enjoy it. The apartment had a stereo, and all of the music pins were jazz and classical. All music she loved.

The third morning, she was listening to some music when someone knocked on the door of the apartment. She opened, and a butler handed her a small note in an envelope along with her breakfast.

-Merci, monsieur.

-De rien, madame.

The note was an invitation to dinner with the General. Vingt heures aperitif. Vetements formal. Eight o’clock. Formal attire.

Jeans and a tank top would be interesting. Or a business suit. Both available. She chose a black dress, mid-level sexy, very elegant, but simple. Heels, not too high, and white gloves. Simple pearls, hair in a tasteful twist with some dangles. No overt statement.

She went at 20 minutes after 8, a humorous aside that 15 minutes after is a l’heure, exactly on time, for a Frenchman. And a lady should not be kept waiting.

She walked into the formal dining room, running a black satin glove across the edge of the large oak doors. They were ovaled at the top, ornately carved. Inside was an immense Baroque chandelier, a piano-forte in the corner, black marble floors, elaborate trimwork at mid-wall and top wall. Windows on two walls overlooking the ocean. A table for 20 people with white tablecloths and smaller colored tablecloths draped at angles. Three flower arrangements, each one unique. Two place settings, with a haute arrangement, smaller plate centered on a larger plate, three forks and two spoons. The pink serviette was folded to look like a swan.

The General stood in the corner, observing. Martha took in the room before acknowledging him.

-General.

-Madame. He walked over, took her right hand in his, and bowed deeply to kiss it. Few men could carry such a gesture, but he did, and well.

-Enchanté.

-Bon soir. Merci pour l’invitation.

-Merci pour vous venir. I am delighted to make finally your acquaintance.

-As am I.

He wore formal military attire. He had a peak cap resting on the piano. His jacket had a standing collar with silver piping, decorative sweeps of chain mail on the shoulders, and buttons of real gold. Numerous awards, including a ribbon. Black wool pants with gold lining. A sword with an ivory pommel and a silver hand guard hung from his Sam Browne belt. Every bit of metal he wore was polished to a mirror finish.

-I expected your palace to be larger.

-It is smaller, actually, but much nicer. This is not my palace. This is my headquarters. Also, it is bigger than it looks. I have rooms sous-terre. Underground.
I have a palace in Corsica. Perhaps I shall retire there some day. He smiled at her, chuckling.


-Cinq-etoiles, she said after dinner. Five stars.

-Merci. Voulez-vous dancer?

-Bien sur. Quelle femme n’aime pas de dancer?
A waltz came on, as if by magic, and he offered his hand.

She took it, laughing.

-Is this a movie?

-Non. Malheureusment, this is our life.

-Are you trying to seduce me?

-What man could seduce you, madame? You hold the keys to any man’s will. Vous etes incroyable belle. I think you could destroy me with a glance, if you desired this.

After a few dances, he escorted her to a sitting room, where the servant brought them two Calvados in bulb glasses. He lit a cigar, offered her a cigarette.

-No, thank you, General. Now that dinner is over, I suppose we will discuss business.

-Oui, if you offer a permission to do so, as my guest.

-Yes. I offer you a permission. What do you wish of me?

-What do you wish of me? He leaned forward, stabbed her with his gaze. Et ne mentez pas. Do not lie. He became something different, mentally unsheathing a sword. Perhaps.

It was a bad game to look wrong in.

-As the host, and a gentleman, perhaps you should go first.

He nodded at her graciously, pulled on his cigar. He stood, paced a bit, swirling the liqueur in the bulb.

-Do you like the Calvados? In French.

-It’s excellent. Everything here is excellent.

He sipped it.
-I want you to kill someone.

-Who?

-Non, c’est a vous. It’s your turn.

She said nothing.

-I have been watching you, Martha. La Rumeuse. I have been to study your traces. Your patterns. I have been to this point unable to find you, yet I have seen your activity in les ondulations. Comment vous l’appellez?

-In the ripples.

-Oui. The ripples. Interesting, an observation. You discover more about a person by looking in what they have done than you discover by meeting them. Strange, do you not think?

She smiled into her drink, at his grammar. Maybe. It depends on the kind of person you are.

-Bon mot.

-Well, you caught me.

-Oui, did you suspect?

-Of course I did. I knew you wouldn’t kill me, though. Otherwise, I would not have come.

-How could a Frenchman take the life of such a beauty?

She laughed without humour.
-I think you would kill me without a thought.

-Perhaps. Let us hope I need not.

-Do you know who I am?

-Yes. More important, I know your true raison d’etre. It is apparent. Pourquoi pas vous me dites? Why don’t you tell me?

She licked her finger, ran it around the rim of her glass, making it sing. I want to keep something safe.

-Someone, I think.

-Yes.

-L’Innocent.

She looked up at him. Who?

-Monsieur Karl. Je l’appele l’Innocent.

-L’Innocent. She tasted it. If it works for you.

-What would you be calling him?

-Just Karl. I don’t care about the Named.

-N’y qu’une. Karl.

She looked into her drink.
-Yes. I love Karl. I want his safety and happiness above all else. She looked up. Voila, je l’ai dit. Why was it so important for me to say it, if you already knew?

-There is honesty, but still something can be hidden within the truth.

-What does that mean?

-A mother’s love cannot be hidden. Dartagnan said this. I had need of knowing if you will kill for Karl.

-Who?

-The Benefactor.

-Why?

-It makes no difference.

-How will that protect Karl?

-It will save his life, I assure you.

-How? Will he kill Karl?

-Oui. In a manner. The Benefactor has created a clone and wishes to attain immortality through this means.

-Are you kidding?

-Non.

-I’ll hide Karl. He could hide here.

-Non, he cannot.

-Why not?

-I will not allow it.

-I’ll find him and hide him myself.

-I will not allow that either. I doubt the Benefactor would, either.

-Why not?

-I wish you to kill the Benefactor.

-Why?

-I will not tell you this.

-How could I kill him? His security must be impregnable. You could do it much more easily than me, with your power.

-I could not. It is expected from me.

-How would I kill him?

-Think of a way. Seduction perhaps. Pretend to be a helpless female. You are trained in the art of poison, I believe.

-What if I killed you right now?

-The Sergeant would kill Karl and force you to watch. You could not anyway.

-If I can’t kill you, I can’t kill him.

-You can. Fiez-moi. Trust me. If you refuse, I will have Karl killed myself.





Karl disappeared after LuvRay went offline. Went to Paris, locked up the Trident watch in a train locker in Gare d’Austerlitz.. He contacted the Sergeant before.

-I need to go off the radar. If I need anything, I’ll be in touch.

-Hold on, Karl. Let me check.

A moment later he was back.
-Fine. Do what you have to do. Try to check in once a week.

-Maybe.

-Don’t lose Trident.

He went invisible, became a ghost. He had a vague sense of looking for something, but had no idea what it was. He wanted to see LuvRay again, but doubted he could find him. He knew LuvRay was not looking for him. He walked in the Bois de Boulogne, the large woods near Paris, where LuvRay was rumoured to be living. He never saw the man, wondered if LuvRay saw him and kept his distance.

He contacted the Sergeant once. Nothing happening there. They were in a holding pattern, apparently. Waiting for the situation to free up. Even the General seemed to have no plan. Unless the Sergeant was not telling Karl. Maybe they were done with him. He wondered if he cared.

He wandered around Paris, staying in cheap hotels, moving frequently. He read numerous books, passed the days in coffee shops, saw a lot of movies. Martha had left him plenty of money, so he could do as he wished. At times he stayed in nice hotels or traveled around. He never flew, wanting to not be seen. He had no idea if someone was looking for him or not. He visited his friends with the sailboat, but the initial click they had found was gone for some reason. He didn’t go again.

The only people he wanted to see were LuvRay or Martha. But Martha was gone, and LuvRay would not find him that way. LuvRay would follow a more primitive trail. If LuvRay looked for him.

One day, he stepped off a train in Athens. Two months, a little more, after Juniper’s death. The phone at the end of the platform rang as he passed. He sighed, answered it.

-Ho,Karl. It is you, is it not?

-Yes. Who is this?

-My name, he paused dramatically, is Dartagnan.

Dartagnan. The fourth Manufactured. One of the three. Karl felt an adrenaline surge.
-What do you want?

-I want you to go on a quest.

-A quest?

-Yes.

-What is the quest?

-If I tell you too much now, we risk losing the quality of magic which so rightly belongs in a quest.

-O.K. Karl scratched his head. What’s the first part of the quest?

-You must go to New York, where you shall meet… the Shaman. Dartagnan said the name with a dramatic flourish.

-The Shaman?

-He will teach you some things. It is your destiny, Karl.

-No, I don’t think I’m going to do that.

-Why ever not? A noise like a sword tip whipping through the air came over the phone.

-I have no reason to trust you.

-Well, can you trust us then? said RJ Sublime. I think you should do it, Karl.

-How do I know this isn’t a trick? You could fake RJ’s voice.

-You can’t tell in your guts, Karl? This thing can’t do a proper Georgia accent to save its life.

-It feels like you, yes, but I’d need to meet you face to face.

-I believe we can arrange that, said Dartagnan. I anticipated that response. He sounded quite proud that he had done so.

-I’ll be there in five minutes, kid.

-Wait yourself upon the bench at the head of platform 8. Mister Sublime will be along presently, said Dartagnan.


Five minutes. RJ sat down.

-Good to see you, kid.

-Good to see you, too, RJ. How have you been?

-I expect I’ve been well enough. And yourself?

-Sad, I suppose. About Martha. And LuvRay. I miss them. I’m scared for Martha. I think she’s dead.

-She’s not dead.

-How do you know?

-Dartagnan told me. The Benefactor needed her for something. It isn’t clear. But you need to speak to a mans called the Doctor. He knows about it.
Karl turned to RJ. How can I contact him? What do I need to do?

-You need to meet the Shaman first. That’s about the sum of my knowledge.

-Why should I trust Dartagnan?

-You shouldn’t. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t play.

-You think I should go to New York, then?

-Have you ever been, Karl?

-No.

-Got anything better to do?
Good point. He was pretty bored. He shook his head.

-Why not go, then? What do you have to lose?

-My life?

-Not you. We all know that.

Karl shrugged.
-OK, I’ll meet the Shaman.

-I think you should. Sounds like fun, to me.

-Why am I doing this?

-It’s frozen. Blocked. You need to get it moving again. Everything wants you to. Just give in and do it. Find out. This is the only way to see Martha again. Besides, you get to meet a real, live shaman.

RJ handed him a plane ticket and a U.S. passport.
-Compliments of Dartagnan.

-Tell me about Dartagnan.

-He’s slippery as an eel. Much more than Juniper. He understands people more. I have no idea what his game is. He talks like Errol Flynn.

-Wow, I thought Juniper was interesting.

-Dartagnan seems to be more…unpredictable…than Juniper.
RJ handed him a cell phone.

-Big. Looks archaic.

-It isn’t. It’s supposed to look old, but it’s state of the art. Trust me, that thing can do some amazing feats.

-What does it do?

-A lot. Don’t get it near Trident.

-Why not?

-Just don’t.



© Copyright 2006 misterkel (UN: misterkel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
misterkel has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/445767