*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/446187
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1141293
Stories revolving four people who are in love...
#446187 added August 7, 2006 at 4:53am
Restrictions: None
If Tomorrow Never Comes_3
And that was the story behind Ryan's big warm smile. Since that talk with David, he had truly live every day to the fullest. Even in high school, he knew that he might not have the chance to get a career, then start a family. That's why he only strived for personal satisfaction. Ryan's greatest satisfaction came from putting a smile on everyone's face. He lives his life by making others happy.

Surprisingly, as he grew up, the less attacks he suffered. That was how he led a seemingly healthy life. Besides David, no one else in school knew about his condition.

Therefore, everyone thought that Ryan was perfect. Especially the girls. Ryan shuddered at the thought. He never gave them any reasons to assume, they just love to fantasize. He often got come-ons from girls but he preferred to turn a blind eye on them. Of course once in a while he was interested, he was flesh and blood after all. However, what's the point in beginning something futile.

Once, there was one girl who almost caused a rift between Ryan and David. The girl's name was Meg.

Ryan remembered meeting Meg the first time in freshmen, during algebra. His first impression on Meg was a very insecure girl. The reason being that the moment she entered the class, she immediately sink low into the seat, with the intention on being invisible.

Ryan being Ryan, he managed to coax her into speaking to him. Not long later, he even managed a small chuckle from her. From then on, they had developed what Ryan would say, a steady friendship.

However, as his friendship with Meg grew, his relationship with David deteriorated. David had been acting strangely in his presence, moping around the house and occasionally sulking.

One day, Ryan could take it no more and confronted him in David's room. David was organizing some pictures in a file, and when he saw Ryan barged in, he quickly slammed the file closed.

"What's wrong with you?" Ryan asked, well, it sounded more like an accusation.

"Don't you knock?" David scowled darkly.

Incredulous, Ryan shot back at him. "Since when do we knock on each other's doors?"

David glanced away, saying nothing, a frown on his face.

"Do you know, nowadays, you have a frown permanently marked between your brows? What do you have to be sorrowful over, anyway? You're not the person who's going to die!"

Angry now as well, David exclaimed, "Stop saying that!"

"If that's not the case, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Crossing his arms, David denied hotly, "I have no idea what you're trying to say."

"Then let me lay it out for you. You have not been speaking to me for days now, and I don't know why. You're moping around the house and if I didn't know better, I would have thought you're in mourning!"

At that last line, David glared sharply at him. Ryan recoiled, he realized what a low blow that was. Only their mother had ever made a comment like that and when they were young, David was terribly hurt over it.

"I'm sorry," Ryan said tightly. "It's not the right thing to say, and it's despicable for me to even mention it. But recently, you're always cooped in your dark room, with all your pictures. I'm worried."

In frustration, Ryan gestured wildly at the file on his desk, unintentionally knocking it to the floor, all its contents spilling.

"Hey!" David quickly bent down, trying to scoop everything up.

Ryan went down too, and saw the contents of the file. It was all pictures. Pictures on a certain someone. Pictures on Meg.

Suddenly, Ryan laughed.

Scowling with embarrassment, David quickly put everything back into the file.

"So, this was what it's all about. Meg." Shaking his head, he said reassuringly, "There's nothing between us. You're welcome to go for her."

David got back up on his feet, putting the file in a drawer. "Don't you think I know? I know you have no intentions for her, but you should see the way she has been following you around. She likes you. A lot."

Sighing resolutely, Ryan said, "So what? Nothing will ever come off it." He walked out the room, but stopped in the doorway, "Trust me, Davey, I'm not interested. Nor will I ever be over anyone."

Not long after that, Ryan was forced to eat back his own words. He got interested. But over somebody else.

© Copyright 2006 goghvinci (UN: goghvinci at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
goghvinci has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/446187