*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450180-From-heron-outall-you-get-is-herons-No-geese
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#450180 added August 23, 2006 at 8:17pm
Restrictions: None
From heron out...all you get is herons? No geese?
The Heron, Observed

The great blue heron
Stands solemnly in the field
Intent on its prey.

*Gift1* *Gift1* *Gift1*

The great blue heron
Stretches out its lengthy neck
To swallow its catch.

*Gift1* *Gift1* *Gift1*


The great blue heron,
A silent sculpture standing,
Is awkward in flight.

*Gift1* *Gift1* *Gift1*

On the homefront, as opposed to the road haikus, all is not as peaceful. The FAA has finally responded by letter to Bill, with what looks like a form letter, acknowledging the fact that it received the reports from the flight surgeon and the Sleep Doctor. The letter made no mention of whether they even read them, or why they are now insisting on a "Maintenance of Wakefulness" test despite the local doctors' saying that the tests are not needed. Bad news.

Yes, he suffered from sleep apnea 20 years ago, and it was entirely corrected with the use of a CPAP machine. The apnea affected him at night, while sleeping, not in the daytime. However, the government seems to think it would be nice for him to prove that he can stay awake for five 45 minute stretches lying on a bed in a dark room after being given a battery of tests to determine his mental alertness. He will be wired up, unable to occupy himself in any way. The sleep doctor himself was not at all positive. Most people don't pass. It's not like he's flying long hours on commerical carriers either, so what's the big deal?

It's a fairly new test, with very little information about its validity. Failing it means no more flying license ever. So there's a lot at stake.


© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450180-From-heron-outall-you-get-is-herons-No-geese