*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450397
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #989995
A classical sci-fi novel, with everything from aliens to starbattles
#450397 added August 24, 2006 at 6:38pm
Restrictions: None
2.5
“Watch out, old man. I’m busy. Now get out of my way.”
          “Tsk. Such impatience. Have you no respect for your elders? Tell me, what is your name?”
         “Orion. Now move. I’m on very important Bonscout business.”
         “And who are you to tell me what to do? Orion. That is a curious name. A name from old-Earth, unless I’m mistaken.”
         “Look, are you just going to waste my time or what? I must get through. Tournia may be in danger.”
         “Tournia? No… it cannot be.” The old man looked pensive. He rubbed his hand through his grizzled white beard. “Orion, unless I’m mistaken, means hunter, does it not? In one of the ancient languages of Earth? And Tournia… that translates out of Ancient Yillat as ‘War’s End.’”
         “You are just going to waste my time, aren’t you. Goodbye.” The young ensign shoved the Schoonist priest aside, heading for the inner temple. The priest grabbed onto Orion’s wrist as he passed.
         “But don’t you see? It is you. You are the one mentioned by the great Prophets.”
         Orion turned angrily. “The prophecies are the food of idiots. Why do you plague me with such nonsense?”
         The ancient priest merely crouched down on his hamstrings and began muttering:
“One will arise from the boiling tumult; the hunter
One will bring end to all war.
The choice is his, and his alone.
Do not encourage him, do not dissuade.
The end of the beginning is the beginning of the end.
Do not look, do not hope. Simply wait.”
         “Riddles. Nothing but useless riddles. Now let me go.” But the grasp on his wrist stayed, and the old man continued:
“There will be one, the end of war. she will join with the hunter, and peace will prosper. end of war will come. the hunter and end of war, forever together. love between two opposites.”
         The priest finally released Orion’s wrist and the Bonscout fled deeper into the temple, uncaring for the crazed ravings of an ancient Schoonist.


         There it was. That voice again. The dream, the same as it had been five years before. That’s where he had heard the voice before- in the throat of a pitiful dream. This time it had been identical to the last time. The wizened priest, shouting incoherent mutterings about strange things, the pitiful ranting of a desperate man.
         Yet why would he hear that voice, the voice of the schoonist priest, just before a battle?
         Why would he listen to it?
         The clock would have read 0126 if Orion had bothered to look at it. He didn’t. He merely gazed up at the black, unseen ceiling above him. The quarters were foreign, another terror in a night of insane horrors. Even his bed was makeshift- formed from a translucent holographic emission of a mattress and a lucky bolt of cloth that he had found in the cargo holds. The only furniture in the dark room other than the holographic bed was a pair of computer access consoles, identical to the ones in the bridge and every other room on the ship.
         A small hologram on one of the walls gave the illusion of a window. The lightless delta space that would normally shed no illumination into the room appeared to be populated by stars. The holographic image of space spread little images of figures across Orion’s sleepless vision as he watched. Though unmoving, the stars seemed to play a game across the view. He could even make out a set of about fifteen bright stars that formed a straight arrow, pointing at a brilliant red giant.
         The vessel was quiet. The distant power and engine cores sent slight vibrations through the metal, but Orion’s bed shielded him from the soothing rumbling. The door sealed out all sounds from the hallway, and the only light came from the false image of stars that attracted Orion’s careless attention.
         Slowly sleep again overcame the Bonscout. Although he was not aware of it, Orion’s eyes slowly shut, and his mind wandered back into the world of dreams.

         *           *           *

         “Better get out your ID card out.”
         The pilot turned to look back at Tournia. The scientist didn’t hesitate. She pulled out Orion’s security card that she had taken before leaving Toan, months before. She had spent days painstakingly modifying the information. Her own card had been left back in the apartment, now a thousand grasecs beneath her feet.
         She handed the card to Imb. The pilot took it and examined the metal. “You military?”
         Tournia nodded meekly, praying that the planetary security database wasn’t matched up with the fleet’s. Imb slipped the card underneath the scanner, and the magnetic encoding transmitted over to the Star Control Station.
         “Very well, you’re clear to land,” the automated reply came over the speakers. “I hope you enjoy your stay, Ms. Wacla.” Tournia masked the relief on her face as the small ship headed down towards Hera.
         She had expected the tarmac to be empty when she stepped out into the familiar sunlight. She had expected not to see the glad face of Orion waiting for her by a transport, or the welcome rush of a family. Instead, as the hatch opened, Tournia saw a dozen people waiting just outside the doors. One stepped up to her.
         “Tournia Sakaguchi, you are under arrest. One count of first degree theft, two counts of imitating a military officer, one count of possessing a counterfeit identification card, and one count of trespassing on government property. Please come peacefully or we will use force to detain you.” Tournia’s eyes became aware of the stun-sticks hanging at each of the officers’ waists. She nodded and two of the arresters grabbed her shoulders and led her into a nearby skimmer. Imb watched helplessly out of the hatch as two more of the police charged her with aiding a felon.
         Tournia was pushed into the skimmer before she could see her unlucky pilot’s response. She knew that innocent Imb would be dismissed on account of her not being aware of Tournia’s exile and previous felonies. Tournia leaned forward in the skimmer towards the scyther up front.
         “How did you find out I was here?” she asked.
         “Keep your silence,” the driver said, firmly but not fiercely. Scythers, unlike most species, do not share or understand the extreme curiosity of humans.

         *           *          *

         Task Force 382 was designated to patrol the Great Wall for three months before beginning a massive campaign against the tonorion nation. Four hundred capital ships, along with their complements of fighters, roamed a hundred-thousand square parsec area, assembled from two sub-fleets and a hundred unaffiliated ships, previously on solitary patrol. Admiral Suigl previously of the 7H fleet and recently promoted to Admiral of the 18A fleet had been placed in charge of the task force as his first mission as a part of the offensive fleet structure.
         The feilon known as Keth Suigl stood looking out at the hundreds of ships surrounding the flagship Corkoruth. The lights from hundreds of vessels and billions of stars illuminated each hull, creating the rare spectacle. Suigle’s four stalk-mounted eyes scanned the vista, speckled with stars.
         “Admiral Suigle, you should report to the bridge. We have an anomaly building about a parsec away. The fleet is moving to hyperspace.” Keth turned from the window to see the ship’s captain in the doorway.
         “Very well, Captain. I’ll be right there.”
         It took two hours in hyperspace to cover the distance to the anomaly. Task Force 382 found itself half of a parsec from the Union border. Keth Suigle stood on the bridge of the Corkoruth next to the flagship’s captain, who had assumed the roll of second-in-command during Suigle’s visit. The massive bridge, with a towering ceiling and three piers of consoles, was filled by thirty Bonscouts, each currently working on the vast ship’s dozens of departments.
         “There is no sign of whatever caused the anomaly, Admiral. However, I’m detecting remnant delta tachyon burn-off from a jump. Residue analysis appears that the ship was of Union origin.”
         “Instruct most of the fleet to remain here, and tell the science ships to discern whatever caused the anomaly. Have four other ships come with the Corkoruth. We’ll follow that Union ship out of here, wherever it was going.”
         The communications officer began contacting the other ships. Within only a few seconds, the five fastest ships including the Corkoruth had left normal space, pursuing the quickly disintegrating trail. The blackness of hyperspace again hemmed in around the vessels.
         “Captain, can you give me an accurate time of interception?”
         “No problem. The disintegration pattern of the tachyon trail shows that the Union ship was traveling fairly slowly. Even with their two hour head start we can probably catch them within half an hour.”
         “Wonderful. I’ll be back five minutes before then. Are battle-stations necessary?”
         “I don’t believe so. It appears to be a fairly small vessel.”
         “Hmm. Better go to them any way.”
         “Aye sir.” Suigle returned the starcaptain’s salute before leaving the room.
         Two minutes later, however, halfway to his quarters, the corridor vibrated around Suigle. He found the nearest comm unit and tapped a button.
         “Captain?”
         “Admiral, we’ve dropped out of hyperspace.”
         “I can see, Captain. Why?”
         “The tachyon trail ended. We overshot by a few inisecs.”
         “I’ll be right back to the bridge.” In half the time it had taken him to leave the bridge, Admrial Suigle returned to it. “Is there anything nearby? Space stations, perhaps?”
         “Negative, sir. Just empty space. We’ve detected the Union ship not far from here. Firing range in thirty seconds, weapons are prepped.”
         “Hail them first. See if we can get any information out of them before we blow them to the stars. Why would a lone Union ship come into our space?”
         “Sir, they’ve been trying to contact us.”
         “Then why the stars haven’t you answered, Captain? Patch them through,” he added to the nearby comm officer. A human face appeared on the mammoth screen in the front of the room.
         “This is Captain Orion Terone, commanding the captured starship Tournia. We are friends of the Alliance. Do not attack. I repeat, do not attack! This is Captain Orion Terone, commanding the captured starship…”
         The captain of the Corkoruth cut the comm-link. “It’s a trap, Admiral. It must be.”
         “Well, if you’d give me a chance, Captain, we could ask for his authorization code.”
         “Very well.” The captain reactivated the link.
         “Unidentified ship,” Suigle began, “please send your captain’s authorization code so we can confirm your identity.”
         “I’m sending it now,” the ‘human’ replied.
         The admiral watched as the comm officer brought up the file for Captain Orion Terone, comparing it to the transmitted codes.
         “Sir. Captain Orion Terone is labeled as missing, presumed dead.”
         “Is the code accurate?”
         “Aye, sir.”
         “Very well. Captain Terone, you are currently labeled as missing, presumed dead. Can you account for your present state of not being missing or dead?”
         “Is my file restricted?”
         Suigle glanced down briefly. “Yes.” He saw the human’s eyes glance down at the Admiral’s insignia on his shoulder.
         “Open my file. You will find that it says that we were part of Operation Farshot and were launched into the Andromeda galaxy. We have now managed to return.”
         The comm officer fiddled with the console briefly, then shook his head.
         “Captain, we cannot access your file. It is restricted to maximum secrecy. I think it may be easier if you simply lower your shields and permit us to scan your ship.”
         “You won’t fire on us?”
         “No.”
         The distant corvette dropped its shields and armor as the Corkoruth scanned every room on board. It took only half an hour more for the Tournia to dock with the flagship
         “Admiral Suigle, the ship has successfully docked. We are returning to hyperspace to rendezvous with the rest of the task force,” the helm officer reported.
         The Admiral saluted and walked off the bridge, followed by two guards. He took a lift up from the centralized bridge to the hangar, where he found the Union ship and six very bedraggled Bonscouts. One of the six, the human, walked forward and saluted. His face was covered in dirt and cuts, and his hair was tousled in every direction. The beginnings of a thick beard covered his cheeks and chin. Suigle saluted back, looking into the tired eyes of this being.
         “Admiral, I am Captain Orion Terone, formerly of the battleship Neyna of the 24A fleet.” Orion let out a heavy sigh. “Reporting for duty.”
         The feilon returned the salute. “I believe 24A is under the leadership of Admiral Hadrmagar. I want you to prepare a report and send it to me and to him. I’ll set up a link to Toan in half an hour. Until then…” Suigle looked again at the dust on Orion’s face. “We’ll set you and yours up with some quarters. Relax for a little while. Schoona knows what you’ve been through to get here.” He motioned to the Union corvette resting behind them. “I also must request that you turn over your vessel to our task force, so that it can be scanned and replicated for research purposes.”
         Orion nodded. “Sir, the Tournia’s all yours.”
         “Thank you, Captain. Dismissed. These two will set you up with quarters for now.” The two guards came forward and accompanied the remnants of the crew of the Neyna into the heart of the Alliance flagship.

         *          *          *

         “Captain!” The officer’s face danced with surprise. “I must admit, I had never expected to see you now. Or ever.”
         “Well, sir, I guess that’s what happens when you allow our only means of return to be overrun by the Union.” Orion’s voice dripped with sarcasm.
         “Terone, believe me. We had no forewarning of the Union takeover. We were not prepared to defend the Farshot Catapult.”
         “It’s on the friggin edge of the Great Wall! The space do you mean you had no forewarning!? Such an attempt was assured!”
         “Captain, you will remember your rank. But you are right, we could have been more prepared. However, that is in the past, now. The loss of the potential colony in the Andromeda has long been accepted. As has your own death. I will be very interested to hear of how you managed to return.”
         Orion began detailing the journey that his crew had faced since their isolation, from enslavement on the denesec planet to the journey to and escape from Sela. He finished with a completed list of the deceased crew.
         “The families, of course, have already been notified of the deaths of each of your crew. I shall have the families of the confirmed dead contacted again, and families of those still alive informed of the favorable news.
         “For now, Captain, I want you and the other five survivors to remain with the task force. I am officially transferring your commission to the command of Admiral Suigle and the 18A fleet. From now on, you will take your orders from him. The 24A fleet is being re-commissioned with new ships. I have been informed by Warleader Hinto that I am to be promoted to the rank of High-Admiral upon completion of the re-commission, so I will still be in command of you, although indirectly.”
         “Warleader Hinto, sir?”
         “Yes. Warleader Tash was murdered a short time ago. An investigation is currently being conducted concerning his death. Hinto, the previous High-Admiral of the Fleet, was appointed to the position only a few days ago.”
         “I see. There is one more thing, sir.”
         “Name it, Captain.”
         “I would like to contact Tournia.”
         “Tournia Sakaguchi? Your girlfriend?”
         “My fiancée,” Orion corrected. “Yes.”
         “I’m afraid that she is currently unavailable, Captain Terone.”
         “The hell does that mean?”
         “You will watch your tongue when talking to your superiors, Captain. Dismissed.” Hadrmagar cut the link, and the screen went blank. Orion stared at it for a few seconds. The comm blinked, and Suigle summoned him to his office.
         Orion arrived at the Admiral’s office and saluted. “Sir, I have been officially transferred to your authority. I am now an adjutant of the 18A fleet.”
         “Very well. Have a seat, Captain.” Orion did so. “I have reviewed your report and those of your crew.” The feilon motioned to the six files stacked on his desked. “In light of the strong command ability you showed during your journey, I have decided to promote you to the rank of Rear Admiral. The ceremony will be held tomorrow at 0900.”
         “Thank you, sir.”
         “I’m not yet done. I have also decided to finalize the field promotions given to your crew while captured by the Union. They shall be honored at the same ceremony.”
         “I am sure they are very grateful.”
         “Will you stop interrupting?” Suigle tapped the table with a single finger in good humor. “Furthermore, they will each be given an additional promotion. Seedo will now have the rank of Captain, Sel and Scarth will be Commanders, Qik a Lieutenant Commander, and Ter will have the rank of Full lieutenant.”
         Orion waited a while before responding. “I will be sure to inform them of the wonderful news.”
         Suigle waved two of his eyes. “As for your current postings. Command of the Union vessel dubbed the Tournia will be given to you. It is a remarkably powerful ship for its size. You truly hit the jackpot in hijacking it. Scans will be completed on the ship by the end of the day. For the following two days the ship will be modified to more comfortably quarter Alliance Bonscouts. Once that is completed, it will be fully crewed and you can assume command.
         “Captain Seedo will be given command of the warship Icho. The previous captain of that ship died in combat last outer month, and has not yet been replaced. The Icho will be one of the ships under your command.
         “Scarth and Ter have been requested to be placed in fighters. They will be part of the Corkoruth’s complement. Sel will serve aboard the Tournia with you as your Ops officer. These posts will be assumed in two days.”
         “What about Qik?”
         “I was getting to that. Qik has decided to retire. He will be placed on a shuttle back to Toan.” Orion nodded.
         “Go and talk to your crew, while they still are your crew. I will see you tomorrow at the ceremony. Dismissed.”
         Orion stood with a salute and departed to his temporary quarters to try again to contact his fiancée.
         What the galaxy did Hadrmagar mean Tournia was unavailable?

         *           *           *

         A small stream of sunlight streamed into the room from the long horizontal window, casting an ominous line between Tournia and the jury. Two dozen people sat behind her, none of whom she knew. She glanced briefly at her lawyer, who continued to stare at the vacant seats of the judges.
         The sunlight crept across the floor, flowing through the filtered air. The thin line began to touch Tournia’s toes, causing her a brief shiver despite its warmth. Somewhere a clock chimed.
         At long last, the back doors opened. The panel of three judges walked into the room, treading directly to their three seats. Two sat down, but the middle justice remained standing. Someone somewhere announced that the court was now in session.
         “Tournia Sakaguchi, you come before this court with the following charges: impersonating a military officer, trespassing onto restricted military grounds, first degree theft of military property, and possession of a counterfeit identification card. For this, you face a possible fine of five-hundred thousand marks and seven years prison, with credit time served for twenty days.. Do you have a response to these accusations?”
         Both Tournia and her lawyer merely continued to stare at the judge.
         “Very well. The judges call upon Myer Triclet, Planetary Attorney for Toan, for opening remarks.” A feilon stood at the opposing desk and began her speech.

         *           *          *

         Yes, wonderful. The food was returning. One of her workers had discovered it. The Queen saw the small feast through the eyes of her minion. She felt its hunger, but ordered it not to eat. More food must come before we can start to devour it. The intense hunger of the worker was easily overcome.
         The food is moving away! Quickly, go and… no, no. It will be back. It always comes back, and with many times its number. This place was far too much bait for it not to come back.
         All around, the Queen felt her mind-slaves. For tens of thousands of miles, they scoured the surface for every hint of anything edible, prolonging their necessary death as long as possible. Ten thousand workers and drones now labored against time, struggling to catch resources and to build one singular ship, barely large enough to carry the Queen, a male, and a dozen workers and drones. She prayed it would be done in time.
         We’re so hungry… It has been too long since new food has come. Yet at least the end of our days will be glorious ones. We who have lain dormant for thousands of years will once again awaken, we will emerge from the darkness and spread our wings into the light, and bring ourselves back into the outside world. Even as the end draws near, we must ask ourselves: who’s end will it be?
© Copyright 2006 Pogacsas (UN: phoebos88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pogacsas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450397