*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450536-Gammon
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#450536 added August 25, 2006 at 10:56am
Restrictions: None
Gammon
I've just finished reading the latest Blogville News and as always, thoroughly enjoyed every word of it. Not only does David McClain do a great job in putting it together, but those who contribute never fail to amaze me with their outstanding talent. So, if you haven't read it, rush over now to "Invalid Item. I'm useless with these links and won't know if that's worked or not until I finish this entry, but if it hasn't then just go find the BLOGVILLE NEWS.

You know, human nature and behaviour has always fascinated me and if I lived to be five hundred, I know I'd still enjoy people watching and making observations on how we act, react and interact. I would have loved to have studied psychology at school, but in those far off days it wasn't an option. But I digress...oh look a chicken.

The differences between personalities and characteristics is so diverse I doubt whether anyone could ever explain completely the reasons why, but every day there are examples. In the Newsletter Voxxylady writes most eloquently about how some people like to dash to their destination and probably through life too, while others prefer a leisurely stroll. ccstring tackles in his own inimitable style the differences in conduct and attitude towards the passing of wind. Bless him for always putting a smile on our faces.

There have been many studies and arguments about whether our behaviour is 'nature or nurture,' and I'm not qualified enough to judge and don't want to go down that road. There's obviously a chicken on it so I better move on.

Differences in nature and personality affect our lives daily. For instance, when is your lowest period of the day? For me, it's without a doubt first thing in the morning - always has been and always will be. Worries and dark thoughts swirl round my brain when I wake and it takes a few cuppas and some quiet reading before any improvement is seen. Don't worry, I get better as the day wears on and generally by midnight I can be a crazy party animal, as some of you may have observed. *Blush*

Hubby on the other hand seems to have his worst patch late at night. Instead of admitting it and going to bed, he'll frequently get annoyed and irritated by things and have a pop at me. Especially after a few drinks.

Now, there's another question. What effect does alcohol have on you? Some claim our true nature emerges when drink loosens our inhibitions but I'm not sure how true that is either. I tend to get soppy, mushy, wub everybody, then fall asleep, so maybe that's all the proof I need. lol Oh...another chicken.

Anyway, when hubby starts on a rant late at night, I've never really found a way of dealing with it, or even better preventing it from happening in the first place. I'm not one for taking the bait when provoked and prefer a peaceful solution. Thereby hangs another question. What makes some people very aggressive? Is it just in their nature, has life made them that way or is it a simple matter of hormones? Whatever, if it is down to testosterone then I must have been at the back of the queue when they handed it out, as although I can get angry, I rarely retaliate. Experience has taught me that in conflict, I'll generally be the one who walks away upset and hurt, regardless of whether I'm right or wrong. Apologies for all these chickens.

Anyway, I will get to the point eventually if you haven't already fallen asleep. I know I'm not much good in the mornings and people tend to leave me alone then until I come round. Hubby does realise he can be obnoxious at night and is generally apologetic the next day. The time in between we're reasonably amicable. But last night we decided to put a plan of action into place to see if it will lessen the evening bouts of unpleasantness.

We eat out twice a week at a pub close to the gym as it's convenient, cheap and cheerful. Can't resist another question here about differences. What sort of eater are you? My son likes to eat his food in order of preference so he saves what he likes best on his plate until last. Hubby likes a bit of everything on his fork so each mouthful consists of a bit of meat, potato and veg, I tend to take a turn at each item in an organised fashion. Unless it's just chicken...sorry.

Another difference is choosing from a menu. I'm getting a little bored with the pub meals because I've tried everything on the menu and want something different. Hubby on the other hand ALWAYS has the same meal. Last night, over our dinner we discussed whether we could choose a word I can use when he starts getting a bit agitated that would stop him in his tracks. I've tried 'I'm not having this conversation,' and 'I don't want to discuss this,' to no avail and we agreed one chosen word would be a better solution.

We thought for a while and threw out a few possibles, but as my gaze wandered to his plate, the familiar sight of his favourite meal prompted me to say,

"I know. Let's settle for GAMMON."

So now it's agreed. The next time he starts to get a bit irritated I'm to shout 'GAMMON,' and hopefully the situation will be diffused. I've a feeling I may be yelling 'GAMMON.' quite a lot for a while and just hope it doesn't have any nasty side effects. But if I do happen to drop by your blog and leave the comment 'GAMMON,' I hope you won't take it personally.

I guess I have to be grateful his favourite meal isn't chicken. *Laugh* Apologies for such a long-winded, round the houses entry. I wasn't even going to blog today, but somehow I felt the need to be close to my WDC friends today.

P.S. OH BUM - I see that link to the Blogville News didn't work. Will some kind person tell this DUH brain how to do it properly?

© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/450536-Gammon