*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/459392-Lost
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
#459392 added October 6, 2006 at 10:14am
Restrictions: None
Lost
I happened to see the new episode of Lost last night. This entry may be a tad boring for those of you who have never seen the TV series. Perhaps you should wait here while the rest of us ventures on. Please don't get into anything while I'm gone. No snooping through my underwear drawer or getting grubby little fingerprints all over my paper placemat collection.

I've always been drawn to stories about people washed up on deserted islands. (I've also always been confused about the proper spelling of deserted island. Desserted? Desert means a dry arid place or applies to islands while dessert is the name of the goodies at the end of meals right?) Anyways...stories like Robinson Crusoe, Lost, Gilligan's Island, Cast Away, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Lord Of the Flies, Blue Lagoon, etc. have always fascinated me. Other stories about being lost in the woods or trapped underground or trapped deep underwater are also compelling but there's something about being trapped on an island that sets those stories apart for me. Ideally it should be a tropical island with plenty of food and fresh water. Throw in a little romance and a little danger...sharks or angry natives should do nicely...and I'm usually hooked. That's why I was so looking forward to Lost when it first came out. I thought it had great potential, (and still do). However after a few episodes I wasn't sure if it was brilliantly written or if it was written as they went along. (I thought The West Wing was a brilliantly written series) I actually stopped watching Lost because I found all the unanswered questions frustrating. I REALLY like the stuff about the animals and huge "whatever" running about through the jungle. That kind of stuff really gets my attention but I suppose I expect too much from "dramatic" fiction. I lose interest if the characters do things I feel aren't believable or if the writing is poor. That's one of the main reason I dislike watching horror flicks...that and because I don't like senseless violence simply for the sake of violence. I find it VERY frustrating watching a movie and thinking "Now that's the LAST thing I'd do if I were in her position, (I say "her" because it usually seems to be females that get sliced and diced in horror flicks). Everybody who's gone outside, (or in the basement, or wherever), has been killed. So why do the same? Duh. I know if I was trapped on a deserted island and knew there was a huge, dangerous monster, big enough to shake trees as it roams around, I would think twice before wandering off alone in the jungle. As I said I missed a lot of the episodes. Maybe they explained what the beast(s) was. I somehow doubt it though.

I don't like watching stuff only to find fault with it. I usually like to give the benefit of the doubt...like haircuts for instance. I didn't care about who cut everyone's hair on Gilligan's Island or for that matter, how they did it. Gilligan's Island wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. I guess I expected Lost to be taken seriously. I do wonder about who's cutting their hair on Lost and especially how it's being cut. I know they're supposed to have all kinds of tools and supplies from the plane but aren't scissors a tad tricky to take with you on planes now? Or for that matter, how many of us feel the need to pack scissors and hair clippers when we travel? Maybe I'm grossly unimformed when it comes to what I should and shouldn't pack when travelling on planes. I can't help but smile when I picture a bunch of airplane crash survivors trying to give each other haircuts with no haircutting experience or proper tools. How exactly does one cut hair without scissors or hair clippers anyway? Do they use plastic knives? Or fire somehow? I honestly don't know. That's the sort of info I guess I was expecting Lost would deal with. I'd love to see them all with lopsided, jagged, bowl cuts and worrying about their shaving, shampoo and laundry detergent supply running out. I suppose I'm being too picky huh? I should just accept Lost for what it is and leave it at that. Afterall Lost is a wildy popular show. Apparently I'm the only one who thinks about how they're getting haircuts.

Aren't you glad you stopped by? Maybe my next entry will gripe about whether hobbits are shorter than dwarves or how come the entire commanding officers on Star Trek would beam down? Wouldn't they send out scouts or droids?

I really need to get a life.




"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor

*Right*Check This Out*Right* "The Amazing Race Club *Left*Check This Out*Left*

© Copyright 2006 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/459392-Lost