*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461069-Tempting-Murphy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#461069 added October 12, 2006 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
Tempting Murphy
I decided to tempt Murphy today. I do this for two reasons. One, I can no longer not share the good news, and the other is pure altruism. zwisis has been visited by Murphy of late, and I figured I’d distract Murphy enough to give her a break. Ain’t I a sweetie *snicker*?

First a little history lesson. My apologies to those who know all this, but worry not (a little Yoda-speak there), I’ll make this short.

I’ve written three novels, two are the first of a trilogy, the third only slightly related. The first one I’ve been trying to attract publishers and agents with, though admittedly not very hard. I’ve talked to three publishers and two agents. One publisher, Waterbrook Press, was interested, but they only take agented submissions. One agent rejected my book, not because of the story, but the writing. After taking his advice, and finishing up my ninth edit, I talked to my second agent, who also happened to be my mentor when I took the two year Apprentice correspondence course through the Christian Writer’s Guild. Mark was interested, so I sent him the first two chapters of my manuscript.

Tuesday I received this email from him:

Andra,

I finally had a chance to look at the chapters you sent. I think the writing is good and I think your book could be saleable. But I think the listening to Larn in the second chapter goes on too long.

Just give the reader some hints and parts of what she hears, not the verbatim of everything. Condense it a little and let her wonder. Plant some suspense in her mind about what this is about. Make us as readers wonder too.

If you can do that, I'd like to see it again, plus several more chapters.


My first thought was, “Oh, yippee. More editing. Will it never end?”

But then karabu emailed me after I bemoaned in my Going Pro journal ("Ah, the pitfalls of seeking publication.) reminding me Mark also said he thinks my book could be salable.

So have I just jinxed the possibility by mentioning it to all of you, making Murphy giggle and rub his hands together in evil delight as he plans his next move?

If I have, zwisis, you owe me one HUGE thank you *Laugh*!

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461069-Tempting-Murphy