*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/469549-Tribute-to-Rocky
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#469549 added November 17, 2006 at 3:22pm
Restrictions: None
Tribute to Rocky
Continuing along the same lines of my previous entry, many different species develop symbiotic relationships. They evolve and live together for mutual benefit and sometimes necessity.

In many ways, the bond between human and dog could be deemed as symbiotic in that dogs help man hunt and provide protection from other animals and humans. Man in turn provides his dog with food and shelter.

But there’s an emotional and spiritual element to that bond then mere survival, a bond no other species on this planet share. If a dog sought only food and shelter from man, he wouldn’t wiggle and shake himself silly when his owner comes home from a long day’s work. He wouldn’t sit at his master’s feet in contentment, or place his head on the man’s lap and stare at him with soulful eyes when he’s sad.

If the dog didn’t want more from man, he wouldn’t grab his favorite toy and nudge his legs or hands to get him to play.

If man didn’t want a companion along with a protector and fellow hunter, he wouldn’t feed him treats underneath the table when no one is looking. He wouldn’t spend hours at PetSmart buying every toy, goodie, or silly-looking sweaters he can afford (or not) unless his dog meant something more.

When I was nineteen, I went with my best friend and roommate to a pet store. I don’t remember what she was looking for, but once I saw him, I didn’t care.

Inside a cage in the middle of the other yippy, wiggly, or sleeping puppies sat one, quietly staring at me. The moment our eyes met, I knew. He was mine. Enthralled, I walked up to the cage to pet him. He licked me with his tiny pink tongue, his furry tail wagging in pure joy. For $75 he could have been mine, all mine.

I thought about it for a long, long time, realizing finally I didn’t have the $75 to spend, and I lived in an apartment that allowed no pets with the exception of fish.

Leaving that little white bundle of fur was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. Here I am, 18 years later, and I still remember him, still wishing I could have taken him home.

Rufus on the other hand wasn’t love at first sight, but now, in watching her grow, play with her, and how she always seems to want to jump out of her skin when I come home from work, I love her no less.

Dogs know how to steal a piece of your heart and never let it go.

When they leave us, or are taken away, they take that piece of our heart with them. We don’t lose a mere dog when he dies, we lose a companion, and a dear friend.

Dear David McClain , you today have lost such a friend, and I grieve with you, as many others here do as well.

I also want to thank you. You gave us the opportunity to see Rocky before you ever brought him home. You honored us by asking us to help name him. You made us laugh ourselves silly with pictures of him growing up, and describing all his antics that I know brought you joy. We fell in love with him almost as much as you and Mel did. Rocky’s life was short, but I know he lived well and happy, and the friendship he gave you in return is immeasurable.

It’s okay for you to forget this day, remembering instead all the days before beginning at the moment you saw Rocky and held him in your hands, that wondrous, perfect bundle of fur, and thief of hearts.

You and Mel are in my thoughts and prayers.

*Heart*

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/469549-Tribute-to-Rocky