*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/470529-Giving-Thanks
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#470529 added November 22, 2006 at 3:26pm
Restrictions: None
Giving Thanks
It all began in 1621, one year after the Mayflower hit the shores of the New World. The Pilgrims gave thanks to their Creator for their bounty, their newly built homes, and a successful harvest.

You have to admire these 102 people, taking a 3 month journey half around the world to a place they’ve never seen with their wives and children, and all for a single wish: To worship God in a manner they choose without the interference of a single church or government.

We are encouraged to always give thanks for God’s blessings. Still, it’s nice to have at least one day out of the year set aside to remind us of all God has given us, no matter how small it might be. It could be a rainbow after a frightening storm, a bird that sings on an otherwise dreary day, the laughter of your child, or the smile of a spouse when you come home from a bad day at work.

I have much to be thankful for, so much so listing it all here would take too long, and likely bore you silly.

I will say, though, how thankful I am for each one of you. You’ve enriched my life in too many ways to count, and provided friendships I wouldn’t give up for anything.

Tomorrow most of us will be filling our tummy with our own bounty, spending time with family and friends, some we haven’t seen in a year if not longer.

My husband and I will be hosting Thanksgiving with my parents, and his two uncles, along with one uncle’s girlfriend.

To whet your appetites, Dave will be smoking the turkey stuffed with apples and using apple wood for the smoke, my mom will be bringing the deviled eggs, Uncle Ben will make the stuffing, Uncle Bill most likely be bringing a local fare called squaw corn, and I will be making two peach pies. We will also have other foods such as raw vegetables and dip, nuts, cranberries, and who knows what else.

Hungry yet?

Today many will be traveling to visit their family for Thanksgiving in the US. One news report speculates over 32 million. More people travel on this day than any other.

If you’re traveling, I pray you reach your destination safe, and with all your hair still in your head, and your trip home goes the same.

I also pray all of you, traveling or not have a happy, blessed day spent with those you love.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/470529-Giving-Thanks