*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/471504-
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#471504 added November 27, 2006 at 10:50am
Restrictions: None
Don’t worry. Be happy.
I’m going to ask you to jump around for me this morning.

First read one of this morning’s most read news stories, and then come back here to read the rest of the entry:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061126/ap_on_he_me/be_happy_2

I’ve blogged on this subject before, about how we’re always looking for ways to be happy. Most of it’s external: “If I made this much money, then I’ll be happy,” “If I lived in this neighborhood or state, then I’ll be happy,” “If my husband or wife would either do this or stop doing that . . .” I’m sure I could come up with hundreds of examples.

I also had to learn the hard way happiness doesn’t have to depend on my circumstances. Circumstances change, life is unpredictable, people don’t always do what I want or expect, so depending upon external situations to provide me happiness leads to disappointment more often then not.

Do you think this article provides an answer? Or is it like Ms Miller said, "I thought it was too simple to be effective. I went to Harvard. I'm used to things being complicated."

This article reminds me of something my pastor pointed out in church yesterday. Rick Warren, author of “The Purpose Driven Life” discovered on the same day his book hit the number one spot on the New York Times Best Seller list, and that his wife had breast cancer.

Many people see life as a series of hills and valleys, high times and low times, Rick Warren included. At having an amazing event and a terrifying event happen on the same day made Rick Warren decide life is less about hills and valleys than traveling along a railroad. Along one track are all the great things going on in our life, and on the other track are all the challenges we face. We never have only good things going on, nor do we have only struggles going on at once. They each ebb and flow at different times, but neither one disappears.

It all depends on which we focus on the most. Yes, many of our challenges and struggles require more of our attention, but that doesn’t negate our blessings.

Though the article suggests three, I’m going to expand my list to five in honour (*Left* like the British spelling?) of Scarlett .

1. Snow! Yep, I woke up to a smattering of snow on the ground with an expectation (so far) of 8(!) inches by Wednesday morning.

2. Having my parents close. Yes, they annoy me sometimes, but after 10 years of living 3 states away, I have an opportunity to get to know them again. Plus this last Thanksgiving was the first Thanksgiving we spent together in about 11 or 12 years.

3. I need to lose weight. Why count that as a blessing? Because I don’t want for the basics in life, especially food.

4. My husband. Yes, he also annoys me at times, but what spouse doesn’t? He loves me dearly, and never fails to tell me every day.

5. My dog. Joy in a yellow fur coat.

What joys and blessings can you list this day?

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/471504-