*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/471980-Wind-Chill
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#471980 added November 29, 2006 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Wind Chill
7 Qawl 163 B.E. - November 29, 2006

The weather forecast for Las Vegas tonight is freezing temperatures. The daytime temperatures are supposed to reach a blistery 49 or 50 degrees. There is a wind warning, which means we now have a noticeable wind chill factor. On the bright side, the ski slops on Mount Charleston will be open Friday. It is now officially cold enough for them to make artificial snow.

NOAA gives the following information concerning the wind chill factor and the cold threat.

*Leaf1*Wind Chill of 41 to 50 degrees F. = Cold Threat of Chilly and generally unpleasant.
*Snow1*Wind Chill of 21 to 40 degrees F. = Cold Threat of Cold and unpleasant.
*Leaf2*Wind Chill of 1 to 20 degrees F. = Cold Threat of Very Cold and very unpleasant.
*Snow2*Wind Chill of -19 to 0 degrees F. = Cold Threat of Bitter Cold with possible Frostbite and exposed skin freezing within 5 minutes.
*Leaf3*Wind Chill of -20 to -69 degrees F. = Cold Threat of Extremely Col with Frostbite likely and exposed skin freezing within 1 minute. At this point outdoor activity becomes dangerous.
*Snow3*Wind Chill of -70 degrees F. or lower = Cold Threat of Frigidly Cold and exposed skin freezing within 30 seconds.

This is the time when we’re reminded to protect the three Ps: people, pets, and plants. This is when you start covering the plant that can’t come into the house and make sure that your menagerie is in the house or at the very least has a warm place to stay if they are outside. My cats stay in all the time, except when they go onto the enclosed patio and they don’t sleep out there. This time of year, my cats sleep with either me or my mother or each other.

© Copyright 2006 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/471980-Wind-Chill