*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473191-Surviving-the-Weekend
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#473191 added December 5, 2006 at 8:45am
Restrictions: None
Surviving the Weekend
With the tournament over, I can now relax and slide into holiday mode. You know, decorating the house – and my office for Christmas. I know, I’m late I usually get his done on Black Friday when the rest of the free world is out spending money and standing in check out lines that snake all the way around the undergarment section of wall mart or k mart or whatever mart you shop in.

But this year, I started my first annual December tennis tournament for juniors. With one hundred, ten players, I’d have to tag it as a success. Once underway, everything ran smoothly. Well, okay, with the exception of one blowup by one parent who is new to USTA sanctioned tennis tournaments and didn’t follow the rules and couldn’t understand why we enforced them.

His resistance to calm down sorta zapped the wind out of me…and this was early Saturday morning. With two full days ahead of me, i struggled to get myself back track. I did have the support of all the other parents around me (the entire facility knew of his unhappiness. And thank goodness my boss just so happened to be there.

After three days of twelve plus hours of working, I so wanted to call in sick on Monday. I was, after all wiped. Mentally draned and physically tired. But our local tennis community association was hosting a Toys for Tots round robin and my desire to play over rode my lack of motivation to make it into work.

I participated in both the morning and evening events and had a great time. During the AM round robin, I was told that if I captained a 3.0 team, two of the players would join it. (I’m taking this a a huge compliment on my AM performance.)

The nighttime event wasn’t as good. The first few rounds were okay, but the further along we got, the stiffer the competition got and I felt sooooo out of my league. “It’s for the kids.” (toys for tots) I kept repeating to myself. “Practice for later this week.”

I’ve got two league matches left….one tonight and one tomorrow….at least they are at my facility. If we win, both we will finish the season in first place.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

© Copyright 2006 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473191-Surviving-the-Weekend