*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478561-Rumblings-of-war
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#478561 added January 2, 2007 at 5:09pm
Restrictions: None
Rumblings of war
No matter where we go, we keep in mind certain expectations. Take for instance writing conferences. We have our mighty dream of landing the agent or publisher, or even better, have them write the royalty check right then and there.

But then we have the more realistic dreams of having an agent or publisher ask us to send them our manuscript to take a look at, decision to come sometimes much, much later with a 10% chance of an “I’ll take it!”

Third on our list of conference dreams is learning something from the workshops and keynote speakers. Tying with third is meeting and developing long-term friendships with fellow writers.

The first two rarely come to pass, but the third is most often a given.

Before I go any further, I want you to read letgocling ’s entry and subsequent comments for today in "Back to the routine?, because what I have to say will not make any sense until you do.

Back already? Wow, you read fast!

letgocling ’s memory reflects my own (good to know I haven’t completely lost it!) in how we met and became friends.

Like her, in 2005 I was nervous and shy, because it too was my very first conference. I even wrote about how nervous I was in my journal, and how I felt like I was a little girl given permission to walk around the block of my neighborhood all alone for the first time.

I still remember seeing Karla again in 2006. Yep, she sat at “my” table (though it didn’t have my name on it, it was mine! Okay, not really *snicker*). I recognized her right away, but didn’t do anything to get her attention. I merely waited to see if she’d recognize me. After her eyes grazed over me twice (I am short sitting down, too), the third time she “saw” me. I had to laugh when she finally did.

Again, like her, something that year clicked between us that didn’t happen in 2005. I leave the explanation to God. I am also grateful for her friendship throughout this last year, and look forward to seeing her again in February (and not just because she’s giving me a lift saving me $100 in airfare and $150 in hotel room fees, either, so don’t even think it!).

Now with most friendships, there are moments of contention, and even outright fights. Well, to remind you folks, letgocling started it by trying to bribe me to keep her from posting photos of the two of us.

Not one to be bribed or make a fight one-sided, I threatened her with a photo war. Looks like she hasn’t forgotten, nor has anyone else for that matter.

Well, David McClain I hope you got lots of GPs, because I plan on taking the best photos that will make certain letgocling can never run for public office. Now get your mind out of the gutter, I’m not that kind of photographer. They’ll be G-Rated.

As for partyof5dj’s comment, you might want to refrain from lending your wife your phone for a while. I know where to find photos of you and am almost as good with Photoshop as ccstring. I won’t promise those will be G-Rated, though *snicker*.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478561-Rumblings-of-war